I froze my beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Just pulled the carboy out of the cooler to bottle and the beer is slushy. Now I gotta wait for it to warm back up.

no you don't. bottle it as is. look up eisboc and freeze concentration. might be cool in your situation.

yeah, fishing the ice out could give you a nicely concentrated beer.

I'd let it warm up then cold crash again. I'm not in to freeze concentration by accident.

I'd let it warm up then cold crash again. I'm not in to freeze concentration by accident.
It was not nearly as bad as it looked.. a small "band" of slush toward the middle of the carboy. I let it set a short time and bottled. No slush left behind. sample tasted good.

From what I understand freeze distilling is distilling which is illegal without proper permits whatever so technically illegal. Just keep it on the dl. Like I said whatever.

From what I understand freeze distilling is distilling ....

Nope. Freeze distilling is a misnomer, the process is in no way related to distilliaton. It is freeze concentrating and is allowed under the current laws.

Did you really make a forum account to post that?

Distillation by its very definition means separating a solution into parts based on the boiling points of each component, then collecting the vapors.

This means "Freeze distillation" is impossible since you cannot freeze something yet still get a vapor to collect. However, don't go advertising you are practicing it because the Tax Man likely doesn't remember much from his chemistry class in college.

I suppose this is a bit off-topic, but I thought it related somewhat.

I had the top four inches of my wort freeze to slush before I pitched yeast. I poured off the liquid wort and let the wort warm up some. I wasn't worried aout killing my yeast. It's stored in the fridge anyway.

At this level it's not distilling because there isn't any alcohol. It made some pretty good beer in the end.

I believe there are a few products out there that do that. Tactical Nuclear Penguin - and I think Sam Adams has one too.

Chemically you get the methanol during heat distillation concentrated, right. That is poisonous and can cause blindness or death. Would the same thing be possible with the freezing process?

EDIT - Rushis - Good links - I went back and read them.

Back