How long till fermantation is done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
I just did my first two batches of beer at home, Wednesday I made a Guinness clone and on Thursday I did a wheat ale. I used White Labs pitchable yeast on both batches. My question is how long till fermentation is done? Its only been a few days and I see no more activity in my ferm locks They were happily bubbling for a few days but now nada. Is it done or is something screwed up.

I new to this but I have read that people advise the 1 - 2 -3 method. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle.

I will just let it sit for a few more days then and hope nothing is wrong. I dont think anything is wrong though because how do you screw up two batches.
P.S. The Tigers are going to the world series !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE BASEBALL
more importantly I LOVE THE TIGERS thanks Magglio

Not trying to steal the post but... Chairman Cheyco, mind taking a look at my post. I just finished my first batch and had some questions.

Thanks

I have the same exact type of question. My first batch was only bubbling violently for 24 hours. Now I do not see any bubbles blowing out my blow off tube. If I push down on the top of the lid though I do see my air bubble move up my tube so I know there is pressure. What gives?

kc_lupo said:
I have the same exact type of question. My first batch was only bubbling violently for 24 hours. Now I do not see any bubbles blowing out my blow off tube. If I push down on the top of the lid though I do see my air bubble move up my tube so I know there is pressure. What gives?

It's not all that uncommon to have extremely fast and vigorous fermentations, sometimes finishing in less than 24 hours. The important thing to remember is that even though it looks like primary is finished, you should leave the beer on top of the yeast cake for a few more days to let the yeast clean up after itself. Even though the yeast was rushing to make beer, you still have to be patient!

:)

How common is it to see NO bubbles from the ferm lock? I think I may have put a little too much water in the lock and am keeping the pressure from bubbling. I got concerned after about 36 hours so I sanitized everything that I'd be touching...outside of the primary, my hands, made the dog go outside:) When I popped the top on the primary (using plastic for first batch) I saw a huge head of foam and a brown ring around the edge. Everything seems to be going alright according to what I've read on this forum so far but I'm like a new dad with his first baby on this batch.

catnip1970 said:
How common is it to see NO bubbles from the ferm lock? I think I may have put a little too much water in the lock and am keeping the pressure from bubbling. I got concerned after about 36 hours so I sanitized everything that I'd be touching...outside of the primary, my hands, made the dog go outside:) When I popped the top on the primary (using plastic for first batch) I saw a huge head of foam and a brown ring around the edge. Everything seems to be going alright according to what I've read on this forum so far but I'm like a new dad with his first baby on this batch.

Jeff,

You can't really overfill the airlock, but you can underfill it. The CO2 bubbles will find a way through. However, it sounds like there wasn't a tight enough seal either with the airlock and/or the lid of your bucket. It shouldn't be a big deal, as you said there was definitely fermentation due to the kraeusen rising and falling.

Your beer should be just fine!

catnip1970 said:

Chances are that if it's a plastic bucket, the gas is escaping somewhere else. Everything else you describe sounds perfectly fine.

Lots of bubbles, very few bubbles? This stuff is alive and every ferment is a little different. Bubbles should start in 6-72 hours and a ferment will last 18 hours to two weeks. The old 1-2-3 is a good guideline.

No bubbles but you have a krausen, probably a bad seal. RHAHB (or a commercial beer, if this is your first batch.

Latest posts

Back