Extract to all grain conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
I am about to brew my first all grain batch in the next week or so and I'm going to be adapting an extract recipe that I like.

I've been adding 1# of corn sugar at the end of the boil to boost the gravity a bit.

Should I just do the same thing with the all grain batch, or should I make up the gravity by upping may grain bill a bit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sorry. . . It's an American wheat. Very similar to Gumballhead.

The extract recipe was:

8.00 lbs Extract - Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
0.50 lbs Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 40
0.50 lbs US Caramel 40L Malt 0.50 lb
1.00 lbs Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry)

So I'm thinking 3.50 lbs of wheat and 6 lbs of 2-row. . .

I'd probably just up the wheat to get to the same gravity this time. If you're not happy with it go back to sugar next time. I don't think I'd want corn sugar in a wheat beer though. Or any beer for that matter.

Have you looked in any of the recipe forums? Plenty of wheat beers in there if you want something tried and true.

Given the main reasons to use corn sugar are to save money and lighten body, there's a lot less reason to use them with all-grain brewing: base malts are nearly as cheap as corn sugar anyway, and if you want to lighten body flaked corn or rice will give you better results than plain sugar anyway. I can't imagine even the full grain versions being that good for a wheat, though.

On the other hand, I'm now amused at the thought of barley, wheat, rye, corn, and rice being used for a "five grain beer." Or oats for six. Just no idea of where to go from there. :)

Back