using O2 to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
How long do you aerate using pure O2 through a stainless air stone befor pitching? I've been using an air pump and filter but just got an O2 regulator. Do you still use the filter when using O2

+1 Same here, I usually turn on the O2 while i'm getting the yeast packet and airlock ready. 2 to 3 mins and it's ready to roll.

because the oxy tank is design for welding not breathing so who knows what particles are in there.

because the oxy tank is design for welding not breathing so who knows what particles are in there.

Yeah because welders don't mind if their gas is contaminated. :rolleyes: Oxygen generators for home use like mom had when she was fighting lung cancer only produce 94% pure O2 for breathing. You can damn sure bet that industrial users of gas want gas that is much purer. I wouldn't sweat it.

I let it go for about 3-5 min myself. I get the O2 from The Home Depot and I have yet to use an air filter on my aerator and I am still alive and the Beer still tastes good. Does the Filter really make that much of a difference?

I let it go for about 3-5 min myself. I get the O2 from The Home Depot and I have yet to use an air filter on my aerator and I am still alive and the Beer still tastes good. Does the Filter really make that much of a difference?

I dunno....mine came with it. I actually use it as the point where I dissasemble the wand/hose from the rest of the unit for storage.

Wow thanks. I have been using pure O2 through a stainless air stone as well from a hospitable grade tank w/reg and I was just wondering how long to aerate. However, I may have been over oxygenating by letting it go for a little long but not to long because it starts to foam and I didn’t think that was too good.

Since I don't seal up the primary while aerating, I see no reason to use a HEPA filter.

Your beer usually has 'other bugs' in it...but optimal pitching means your desired yeast does the fermentation and out competes everything else.

I do about 45-60 seconds of O2, and have pretty wild fermentations...on 5 gallon batches.

Industrial O2 is clean enough for human consumption but food grade O2 is usually not considered pure enough for industrial/scientific applications. There are no bugs in an O2 tank - from a biological point of view its a lethal environment. Just keep your lines and stones clean.

Back