4 batch AG brewday thoughts....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentonre

Reaction score
First of all I just want to say, anyone considering AG, do it. It isn't that hard and makes way better beer IMHO.

Anyway.... Saturday I did 4 AG batches in a single day :rockin:(3 tier MoreBeer propane system). Previously I had done 2 or 3 in a day and 4 seemed doable.... In total it took about 11 hours from start to finish (including equipment setup, milling grain, sanitizing equipment and all cleanup) and all went smooth. Last batch was a Pliny the Elder clone with 90 minute boil so a 60 min boil could have shaved some time off.

Getting a rhythm with the batches worked out well. With 30 minutes left in the boil I would mash in the next batch, this worked out almost perfect for me to finish the boil, cool (through CFC) and clean up boil kettle for next batch to be ready to Vorlouf and sparge.

For the last batch (Pliny) I was concerned about amount of Pellet hops being an issue (I generally just whirlpool and have no screen on outlet valve of brew kettle) so I used a Muslin bag (large 12 x 24). That was pretty much useless..... Wort flowed through well and hop utilization was decent I think, but when done, about 2/3 of hops were on the outside of the bag in the kettle anyway. :smack: Whirlpool was only so-so effective and some hops were sucked through CFC (but no clogging), I figure no biggie since this gets dry hopped anyway. So from now on I will only whirlpool, seems to go much better.

If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer. To me doing multiple batches makes sense as the additional setup and prep is minimal and for someone like me, my opportunity for brew days are limited.

Yeah I got a question. Why do people subject themselves to the mess and hassle of pellet hops? I only use leaf, and will only use leaf. To me, the flavor difference is huge. That and I can't handle the sludge! Used them once, and that was enough. That was in 2008.

For me it is a matter of convienience and availability. If ordering premade or custom made grain recipes the typical I have seen is pellet hops. I actually agree in that I grow some of my own hops and whole hops are a lot better to deal with although I haven't noticed a huge flavor difference (some definitely but not a showstopper), but a good whirlpool and some patience before drawing off into my CFC works pretty well for pellet hops on the order of 3 ounces or less (for a 5 gal batch).

Back