Wow, didn't expect to see that safety label on my new Perlick faucet boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshinefield

Reaction score
Some people try to take all the fun out of drinking beer...

image-1887479853.jpg

If it contains brass, then they add lead to make it easier to work with. I bet that any brass pipes or fittings have the same warning in CA. You'd probably die of cirrhosis before cancer with the amount of beer you'd have to drink for it to even matter.

My money says that CA finally got tired of dealing with John Sokolove in their courts so they put out a rule that says everything sold in CA needs a "may cause cancer" sticker :)

My plumbing supply rep just informed me that starting in 2014 ALL plumbing components that touch potable water will be subject to California's law. In other words it is becoming national law. Expect brass and bronze components to increase by 20%+. People found out of compliance are subject to heavy fines. Great isn't it? How many people have been dropping dead due to lead poisoning lately?

My plumbing supply rep just informed me that starting in 2014 ALL plumbing components that touch potable water will be subject to California's law. In other words it is becoming national law. Expect brass and bronze components to increase by 20%+. People found out of compliance are subject to heavy fines. Great isn't it? How many people have been dropping dead due to lead poisoning lately?

Nah, don't be worried. They will still sell the same old brass, just with new labels "not for potable water"

My money says that CA finally got tired of dealing with John Sokolove in their courts so they put out a rule that says everything sold in CA needs a "may cause cancer" sticker :)

I woudn't be suprised if the hospital maternity wards in California had signs that read "Warning, Life may cause Cancer".

thargrav said:
That's a world wide number, and mostly in countries that don't attempt to control lead.

Hey, someone asked, he just provided the facts...

I'm not bashing, just pointing out that it's a world wide number. This country does a good job of limiting lead exposure but I believe California goes to the extreme.

I was in Cali this time last year. They have warning labels on EVERY FREAKING THING in that state! You can't go into a restaurant without being accosted by warning signs! I mean, I honestly think I saw signs that warned people that the food they are consuming will be against their religion!

MalFet said:

From your linked report:
Overall, 98% of adults and 99% of children affected by exposure to lead live in low- and middle-income countries.

The US is definitely not a low or middle-income country. While I can understand the enjoyment someone may yield from proving another wrong; it is imperative that A) your supporting facts are correct and applicable B) the original question was not rhetorical. Unfortunately, you did not fulfill either.

Nah, don't be worried. They will still sell the same old brass, just with new labels "not for potable water"

My rep said probably not when I mentioned it doesn't affect us since we deal primarily with steam. She said that it wouldn't be feasible for many companies to make a leaded and lead-free version, they will only offer the lead-free version. The last 2" rising stem valves I bought were already $750 a piece, now tack on another 20%.

From your linked report:

The US is definitely not a low or middle-income country. While I can understand the enjoyment someone may yield from proving another wrong; it is imperative that A) your supporting facts are correct and applicable B) the original question was not rhetorical. Unfortunately, you did not fulfill either.

You're welcome to disagree, of course, but there's no need to belittle my intent as simple one-upsmanship.

You are correct: there is relatively little lead poisoning in first-world countries. Perhaps that has something to do with laws on things like lead-content in drinking water systems. In other words, pointing out that the deaths are predominantly from places without environmental protections on lead doesn't refute my point; it is my point.

Indulge me then, what was your point in providing an un-related fact?

Around the world, many people are killed by environmental lead. In places with relatively more stringent regulations, far, far fewer people are killed by environmental lead. Therefore, to answer your other (probably also intended as rhetorical) question: yes, it is great that potable water systems are subject to stringent requirements on lead-content.

Despite the WHO's number about lead poisioning deaths, I'm sure there are a great many time more than that who are completely unaware there lead levels are significantly elevated. They will have children born with birth defects, as well as suffer neurological damage. Personally I would be cautious about using and brass or chromeplated brass for anything that will have food contact. The good news is you CAN buy lead free brass, and chrome.

Ironically, there's still lead in "lead-free" brass. From wikipedia: "On January 1, 2010, the maximum amount of lead in "lead-free brass" in California was reduced from 4% to 0.25% lead."

It's funny they are worried about small brass parts containing a miniscule amount of lead, even when there are still plenty of building and houses with solid lead pipes.

Not to worry, since you live in CO, and its only a known carcinogen in CA. :D

Unless I am mistaken, WHO statistics refer to lead poisoning from lead ingested from all sources.

Statisticly, most lead poisoning occurs through lead ingested via airborne sources like lead based paint dust.

Still worried about beer dispensed from your Perlick faucets?

Pitch the first couple of ounces of beer you dispense before filling your glass.

EPA has been increasing their programs to combat lead poisoning and they're getting into everything. As of last year I am a lead based paint certified firm as well as a lead inspector and risk assessor. Since I deal with historic architecture it was worth the training. EPA has a mandate that requires pre-1960 housing be inspected prior to federal funding. Look up the symptoms to lead poisoning, sounds like today at work doesn't it?

Home depot sells check kits, I'd recommend it if your house is pre 1960. I'll be happy to tell you where to look for common hot spots.

We will start to see stickers and signs everywhere! it will be good to for people to become aware of how toxic an environment can be.

I always got a chuckle out of those stickers when we lived in CA. I tended to interpret them more along the lines of, "Well the State of California knows this, but the rest of the people are just clueless and don't know this" (spoken in a smug manner)

It never ends...

The other day I purchased this pump with the idea of building a keg washer...

You guessed it, the exact same CA message was printed on the box.

And this was for a pump that was originally used in drinking water coolers!

p2-1168C (Small).jpg

Living in California can be very funny sometimes! These stickers are posted in airports, public garages, restaurants, gas stations, childrens toys, and just about everything else.

I have three spare Krome Dispense 100% stainless faucets that I never took out of the box (I bought three Perlick 525ss instead), anyway the funny thing is I was just looking at the boxes yesterday and they also have the california warning on them.......even stainless:confused:??? Maybe california just labels every metal product like that.

patthebrewer said:
I have three spare Krome Dispense 100% stainless faucets that I never took out of the box (I bought three Perlick 525ss instead), anyway the funny thing is I was just looking at the boxes yesterday and they also have the california warning on them.......even stainless:confused:??? Maybe california just labels every metal product like that.

I think the manufacturer is differentiating their product from what could be further down the line. Older copper used lead solder, etc...

This thread might be a couple months old, but my stainless perlick faucet was just delivered with this lable. It was one of the creamer faucets. The regular stainless faucet didn't have the warning so maybe lead is the secret to a creamy head? I'll see if perlick can tell me where they put all the lead in their stainless faucets.

Perlick confirmed the label is for lead content of brass used, and it was a mistake for a stainless faucet to be packaged with the warning.

Lead is some BAD stuff, to be sure, but it is most dangerous to children. Presumeably children won't be ingesting your beer.;)

The most common and dangerous source for lead is garden hoses.

It's because of Proposition 65 which requires everything that may contain toxic substances to be labeled as such. It's more to just let people know it might be possible. They are everywhere in CA.

Virtually all espresso machines that might be sold in California carry those same labels, for example.

I seem to remember something about the amount of lead in a brass pipe fitting not being enough to be a problem if you ate the whole fitting at once. the reality is a tiny amount of lead will be leached from the inside surface. The acidity of beer will increase the leaching but it is still a miniscule amount. There are many other things to worry about in your water that will kill you far faster than a brass fitting.

Back