Glycerin for freezing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find it in the pharmacy section of any drug store, supermarket, or a retailer like walmart.

I find it in the lotion section at the local cvs...its a skin protectant or something.

Its clear jar with a blue label that says glycerin usp

That's the stuff I bought just over a month ago. :D You don't use all that much per batch, so it will last a good while. I used about 125ml of glycerine in my first 500ml yeast slurry mix (total volume). Got 12 vials filled (sold as 50ml, but really hold about 45ml when you're freezing them). I have a set of beakers coming (5, up to 1L size) for the next batch I freeze. Also got more vials coming along with the stands to hold them up while I pour (will make it easier). Only thing I want to get before the next batch is a glass stir rod. Checking to see if I can get that locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked local stores for it before ordering. Cost per same amount was far less via Amazon than any store I could go to and get it. I was seeing $6, or more, for a 2oz bottle... I paid under $12 for a quart bottle. :ban: Gotta love the Amazon Prime membership, with free 2 day shipping. :D

I checked local stores for it before ordering. Cost per same amount was far less via Amazon than any store I could go to and get it. I was seeing $6, or more, for a 2oz bottle... I paid under $12 for a quart bottle. :ban: Gotta love the Amazon Prime membership, with free 2 day shipping. :D

I think I only paid a few dollars for a 6 ozs bottle at Walmart. $12 for a quart is certainly cheaper, but a 6 ozs bottle lasts me a long time.

I use small test tubes; about half an ounce each. I fill 5 each time, so use less than an ounce of glycerin each time. I probably freeze about 4 yeasts a year, so a 6 ozs bottle will last about 2 years for me. A quart bottle would last close to 10 years.

I think I only paid a few dollars for a 6 ozs bottle at Walmart. $12 for a quart is certainly cheaper, but a 6 ozs bottle lasts me a long time.

I use small test tubes; about half an ounce each. I fill 5 each time, so use less than an ounce of glycerin each time. I probably freeze about 4 yeasts a year, so a 6 ozs bottle will last about 2 years for me. A quart bottle would last close to 10 years.

That's pretty small samples there. I followed the thread about how to mix it all up. For me, it was easier (due to tools on hand) to mix up 500ml total slurry and glycerine mix. With 125ml of glycerine in the 500ml of total volume. I want enough yeast in each vial to not have to make half a dozen starters to step it up to what I need for my typical batches (6.74-7.25 gallons into fermenting vessel). I've also offered vials to some of the local home brewers (either HBT or the club I'm a member of). Even with giving away those, I'll have enough of the strain to carry me through. I'm just hoping that Wyeast offers it again without making me wait more than another year. Even if they go a couple of years, though, I should have enough yeast in reserve to keep me going.

I'm planning to freeze another batch, or two, soon. Once the supplies arrive I'll plan it out. I want to get both the other strain I use frequently, and another I don't use very often at all. With the less frequent one, it's more a matter of having some so that I don't need to drive an hour (or more) each way to get some.

Latest posts

Back