project ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I have a strange question. I have an older desktop computer that's been sitting around for way too long and it's time I do something with it.

My first thought was to have a little fun like the time I was in college and my old tv/vhs combo crapped out on me. You would think that there would be a bigger mess to clean up when something like this is dropped from the fourth floor of the dorms.

However, fear not. I am a little older and I hope a little more mature than I was back then. I decided it would be a great time for stir plate. With all the help from others on this site as well as many others, the stir plate shouldn't give me too much trouble.

Now I'm on to the reason for this post. I have a few more items that I was wondering if anything could be made into another useful tool for brewing. The leftovers include, a larger case, two cd-roms, a motherboard, a 3.5 floppy drive and lots of ribbons.

If anyone can offer some suggestions I'd greatly do the research. Thanks for the time-b.

in all honesty, i dont care how ridiclous it may sound. please, anything!!!!

Large case could be turned into an item to hold taps on top of a kegerator.

Old CD ROMS could be electric push button cup holders.

Motherboard I got nothin.

3.5 floppy would make a great paper weight to hold down your reciped on windy brew days.

Create brew control system. Control MT temps, water temps, boil temp, monitor PH, pump control, etc.

All ideas sound great but mad weezels idea got me excited. i'm sure the is a thread or two on this forum that will help me a explain more.
Just a side note...I imediately thought, "dishes are done dude." from the movie Don't tell mom the babysitters dead.

In college, the old fridge my parents gave me for a kegerator did not have a thermostat, so we rigged up a circuit board and some perl code and created a thermostat that connected to the parallel port to control the temp of the fridge.

After college I bought a typical temperature controller, but I used an old fridge with a free cue cat barcode scanner to log and graph all beers that came out of the kegerator (good way to know if the keg is low and you need to order another one).

Back