yeast starter exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackstrat5

Reaction score
I put wlp001 in a two.liter starter on friday afternoon. Left it on the stirplate and went away for the weekend. I returned to find that it had overflowed on the counter. It looked like quite a bit of dry yeast on the stir plate.

Still safe to pitch the starter.? Did I lose too many cells? Should I make another starter or just try over again? I used sanitized foil to cover the top of the Erlenmeyer flask and it looked like it never moved so it was still on their.

I have this happen all the time, I now use fermcap (only for starters) and only if i cannot find a vessel large enough to allow some head space for this. When I have this happen I found that I loose quite a bit of yeast about %40. I made a blow off tube that collected the yeast in some wort and I found a significant amount of yeast in the second container. So I would recommend cold crashing for 24hrs min and then decant and add more wort.... and some fermcap.

Clem

I didn't realize fermcap would keep the krausen under control. Ill have keep that in mind next time I try a starter. I guess it'd be good to keep boil overs from happening. Its just one heck of a juggle keeping the heat just right on an Erlenmeyer flask to keep it boiling but not boiling over.

Back