Winter Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
After a trip to Vancouver I had a chance to sample some Granville Island Brewery Lions Winter Ale. I did a search and someone else had been looking for a clone of this beer but never got any responses. I'm looking for a solid winter ale recipe that I could possibly tweak or get suggestions on modifying it. I'm looking to replicate the extremely smooth vanilla finish in the GIB beer which was perfect for sipping around the campfire.
Thanks

Have you tried the Baltic Porter by the Alaskan Brewery in Juneau?

I have not tried the Granville Island Winter, but the ABBP has lots if vanilla and goes down nice. The Baltic Porter uses a lager technique and a lager yeast, grain bill like a porter or an export stout.

You can get vanillins out of wood aging, but you'll get some Brettanomices that way too, which you don't seem to be asking for.

I'm brewing a clone of the GIB Winter Ale today. I got the recipe from Dan's Homebrewing Supply in Vancouver. Their recipe was for a stronger ale (about 8%) but I want to make one closer to the GIB version (5.5%).

8 Lbs. Pale male extract
Steeping Grains:
1.2 lbs. crystal
.25 lbs. carapils
.4 lbs. chocolate
.35 oz. Willamette whole (60 mins)
1 oz. Cascade (60 mins)
.5 oz. Sterling whole (Finishing)
Additional Ingredients: 3 whole vanilla beans, 1.5 lbs. 'Golden syrup', 6 oz. Molasses

Is this the recipe they gave you or is this adjusted for 5.5%? Anyways thanks for the recipe, I may have to give it a try when I have some bottles free. I'm drinking a "winterfest ale" now which is good, but not nearly as good as the granville one.

No it's a by-product of the refining process for cane sugar, like molasses. And it's way too good, I want some for pancakes or waffles

It turned out good but nothing like granvilles. I haven't tried the recipe posted above yet but I've found that vanilla flavor comes out better using pure vanilla extract (not artificial) rather than vanilla beans. They're selling GIB beers regularly in my area now so when I eventually get around to working on a recipe again, I'll have something to compare it to. If I do get one nailed down I'll be sure to post it though.

Thanks for the update. I was just in Vancouver earlier this year, and did the GIB tour on the island. The guide said the ingredient that gives it the vanilla flavor is white chocolate (which is really just a butter), not actually vanilla bean. Would love to clone that recipe!

How did this turn out???? Also, when did you put the adjuncts in?

I'm brewing a clone of the GIB Winter Ale today. I got the recipe from Dan's Homebrewing Supply in Vancouver. Their recipe was for a stronger ale (about 8%) but I want to make one closer to the GIB version (5.5%).

8 Lbs. Pale male extract
Steeping Grains:
1.2 lbs. crystal
.25 lbs. carapils
.4 lbs. chocolate
.35 oz. Willamette whole (60 mins)
1 oz. Cascade (60 mins)
.5 oz. Sterling whole (Finishing)
Additional Ingredients: 3 whole vanilla beans, 1.5 lbs. 'Golden syrup', 6 oz. Molasses

I live in Boston and used to work for a company out of Vancouver. My first time to BC our CEO took us to Granville Island for dinner (Sand Bar) and I happened upon Lions Winter Ale. From then on I only went to Vancouver in the winter so I could go straight to the nearest pub and have a few pints. This is one of my favorite beers. Sadly you can't get it anywhere in the states. I would love to get a reasonably good clone going. Has anyone else had any luck? Any adjustments to the recipe listed here?

So what yeast did you use.? or suggest to get the closest thing to the gib winter ale. and add the vanila at the end of the boil? and molasses and golden syrup during the boil?

Drinking one of these right now, can says it contains barley and wheat. Would love to clone this.

I know that this thread is 2 years old but I've noticed that nobody has provided any feedback as to how this clone has turned out.

So here goes....

I made this recipe last fall so that it was ready in time for Christmas.
Not being a big fan of golden syrup, I substituted 1.5 cups of demerara sugar and a couple more oz of molasses.

The finished product turned out very close to the original. Just a bit more bitter in the after taste.
My wife isn't much of a beer drinker but loved it a helped me finish off the 5 gallon keg over the holidays.

Back