high fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im new to brewing and live I Texas. I dont have an extra fridge, im fermenting in my room. I brewing several types of ales and the coldest it gets in my house is around 71 72.... is this fine.

I brewing several types of ales and the coldest it gets in my house is around 71 72.... is this fine.

Just get yourself a big cooler and put your fermenter in it. Fill with water and exchange frozen plastic bottles as necessary. This is Yooper's rig, with custom foam lid:
4189-DSCF0001.JPG

I use a round cooler and buckets:
2861595592_673b44289b.jpg

The cooler can also double as a mash/lauter tun!:mug:

It does depend somewhat on the yeast used - I mostly use dry yeasts like US-05 and Nottingham, and I found that my ales taste better if fermented at 65 or even a little less. It does make a difference in the final product, and IMO worth a little effort rigging up a system like 944play suggested. Even a simple water bath, wet T-shirt over the fermenter and a fan will help.

thanks alot, im going to buy a cooler today. The 2 most recent yeast i used were activator 1007 german ale and white labs saison ale yeast. I have also used dry yeast in the past... what effects should this have on these

You could not have picked two more opposite ale yeasts. German Ale likes cold, like 60, Saison you can ratchet up to the 80s!

It's weired talking about cool temp control this time of year...we spent all summer posting out ghetto swamp coolers. Now a lot of us are talking about raising out temps with aquarium heaters...

In summer, I could keep mine in the low 60's with the icebath/t-shirt and fan (if needed) And can fit two 5 gallon fermenters, 6- 3 gallon betterbottles, or 1-5gallon carboy, 1-3 gallon better bottle, and 1-3 gallon water bottle, or 1- 5 6allon and 1-Mr Beer fermenter, in my rubbermade tote...and it holds the temp fine.

fermenting.jpg

brewcloset1.jpg

dude i to live in Texas and cool temps are a thing of my worries too.
the wet t-shirt technique has brought things lower if i choose to use my bathtub.
ex: as we saw earlier
brewcloset1.jpg

i also built this bad boy and it keeps my temps around 60-65 in the hot summer months. Not to mention if you like to build stuff it was kinda fun to put together
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

it appears the link to the SON OF FERMENTATION CHILLER is dead. maybe someone else has a working link.

Back