What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a giant bottle of Starsan and the ingredients for my first ever SMaSH (7 lbs. of Maris Otter and 5 oz. of Simcoe) at the LHBS. Also found out they have filled CO2 tanks on sale for a discount AND can refill them at their store. Don't even have to go to a welding place or anything to refill it.

Made new arm-a-flex wrap for mash tun. Fits nice! Made hoses for new brew setup for a friend and cleaned up some stuff. Also let a friend try some brews that he hasn't had and got good feed back.

Picked up some lime peel, more paradise grains, and brewed my first SMaDH (it doesn't quite work like SMaSH, but I used two hops). It will probably end up tasting awful, but because I only brewed one gallon, it won't be as bitter a pill to swallow.

Qhrumphf said:
Yeah, that's no fun. I did 500 or so over Thanksgiving weekend. Never again. I'm doing em in smaller numbers from this point on.

I usually do em as I drink em. I have a bunch of quart sized comtainers ive saved from my local Chinese food takeout place that they deliver won ton soup in. And if I have six beers during the day as I drink I'll rinse and fill each one and place them in the container filled with hot water and oxy. They take up very little space and I tuck them in the corner behind my sink. Pretty good system and only take about 60 seconds between beers to do.

Bottled my first brew (1-gallon AG chai tea stout) and picked up a sixer each of 21st Amendment Back in Black (for me) & Woodchuck Ginger & Apple (for the wifey) for a new year's get-together tonight.

I did a trail 60 minute boil with my new 8 gallon kettle to get the evaporation rate. It was very cold out and boiled off 1 gallon in an hour.

I watched my lager happily bubbling away. I made this on Monday morning, pitched the yeast at 2am (after New Years celebrations) at 54 degrees, and it took off by mid day on Tuesday. It was going like crazy by Wednesday morning, and still steadily today.

So far everything on this batch has gone well. I got good efficiency with BIAB, the beer is light colored as wanted, the hops have a nice balance to them, the fermentation is going great, the temps in my cold room have stayed between 48 and 50 without any intervention, and the weather forecast is for more of the same outside so inside will stay the same too. No scent of diacetyl, but I wouldn't know if I'd be able to detect it anyway from the airlock.

Racked my Galaxy Pale Ale Version 2.0 into a keg, and worked up the starter for my Caribrewsary on Saturday.

I started with some general cleaning in the bar/brew area, then I mopped the floor.
Next came cleaning the inside of the kegerator.
Then I had a beer, well another one.

20130105_185244_Hagrid.jpg

Biab. Too cold/late to fire up the 3 tier on the deck. I miss my garage

Well today for beer I took one for the team folks...

It all started when I realized that I had left some hop material and wort in the brew kettle from my last brew session. Well in the Montana December "heat" wave of 10-30 degrees it was frozen junk that i needed to get out. So I warmed up the kettle on the burner to thaw it and went to dump it behind the house where I always do. I slipped and started to fall it happened so fast I wasn't thinking of anything other than pushing the kettle away from me so it didn't land on top of me. Well instinct was to grab the bottom and that was HOT. I got 2nd degree burns on the inside of my fingers on my left hand and had to visit the walk-in Clinic. And worst of all my Mash temp dropped from 148 to 142 over the course of the 3 HOUR MASH while i was at the clinic! All and all though it wasn't that bad and could have been worse. I learned that gloves should be used when moving HOT items! My good buddy Jeff came over and helped me finish the brew day. I hit the Pre and Post boil SG numbers and i think the brew will turn out fine..

Jeff chose the name for this brew

2nd Degree Saison

2013-01-05_08-38-02_113.jpg

LoloMT7 said:
Well today for beer I took one for the team folks...

It all started when I realized that I had left some hop material and wort in the brew kettle from my last brew session. Well in the Montana December "heat" wave of 10-30 degrees it was frozen junk that i needed to get out. So I warmed up the kettle on the burner to thaw it and went to dump it behind the house where I always do. I slipped and started to fall it happened so fast I wasn't thinking of anything other than pushing the kettle away from me so it didn't land on top of me. Well instinct was to grab the bottom and that was HOT. I got 2nd degree burns on the inside of my fingers on my left hand and had to visit the walk-in Clinic. And worst of all my Mash temp dropped from 148 to 142 over the course of the 3 HOUR MASH while i was at the clinic! All and all though it wasn't that bad and could have been worse. I learned that gloves should be used when moving HOT items! My good buddy Jeff came over and helped me finish the brew day. I hit the Pre and Post boil SG numbers and i think the brew will turn out fine..

Jeff chose the name for this brew

2nd Degree Saison

**** man sorry to see and hear that. Way to suck it up and get it done though! Who knows you might have something with the three hour mash technique. Hope the brew turns out great and the hand gets back to 100% ASAP keep those burns coated in that silvadene cream stuff and covered up. Cheers.

Dave

We moved last month, and I never got my hops. in lovely Pennsylvania the winters are a mixed bag. I waited until today, warm weather at 45 degrees and I knew the ground would be soft enough to dig.
My night time raid only yielded my cascade root stock - the cluster is still enough to fill a 7 gallon bucket.

ZmHXE.jpg

Plus side of brewing when it is sub zero outside. .. chilled my wort to pitching temp in only 20 min with a simple water bath Plus snow. As much as I love brewing at our cabin my system is much more refined at home. Though I have never chilled in only 20 min with my submersion chiller.

Today I bottled my Oatmeal Vanilla Stout. Took a little taste out of the secondary after having been fermenting over 3 vanilla bean soaked in rum...yum...this is going to be a good beer.
2013-01-05_13-09-55_164_zpse4bfd6ce.jpg

I took a sample of my American Lager. Gravity was 1.014 after 5 days from 1.054. It was kept between 50 and 54. I took it into the warm part of my house for a D-rest.

I also got my USB powered fan in the mail today that'll turn into my stir plate.

Today I bought a range hood through craigslist, installed it over my boil kettle, had two friends over and helped them brew a 10gal APA on my kal clone, and kegged a vanilla bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.

Not too shabby.

**** man sorry to see and hear that. Way to suck it up and get it done though! Who knows you might have something with the three hour mash technique. Hope the brew turns out great and the hand gets back to 100% ASAP keep those burns coated in that silvadene cream stuff and covered up. Cheers.

Dave

Thanks Dave... Yup they gave me the Thermazene (Silvadene cream stuff :D ) & I'm keeping it wrapped up now that the burning has stopped.

2013-01-05_21-58-07_28.jpg

Bought a 70 qt coleman extreme cooler and a bunch of copper fittings for a manifold. Now I just have to finish putting my kettle together.

Back