Strongbow cider clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the macro cider here in the UK. It also tastes nothing like cider tastes!

Do you get many British ciders in the states? Weston's ciders seem to pretty widely distributed, and are pretty good. Other good examples off the top of my head are Ralph's and Gwynt y Ddraig.

It's the macro cider here in the UK. It also tastes nothing like cider tastes!

Do you get many British ciders in the states? Weston's ciders seem to pretty widely distributed, and are pretty good. Other good examples off the top of my head are Ralph's and Gwynt y Ddraig.

Strongbow, Magners, Bulmers is about all of the UK ciders we get, at least the ones that are moderately easy to find.

MC

these are the ciders I can think of I have found

Strong Bow, Magners, Bulmers, Crispin, Woodchuck, Fox Barrel, Hornsby's thats all i can think of.

So I wanted to bring this up again. BECAUSE I LIKE STRONGBOW. Some people like budlight and craft beer. Some like strongbow.

This is what I was thinking but wasnt sure on the amounts.

5 gallons Motts
Acid blend OR Malic Acid
White Labs English Cider yeast OR Nottingham Ale yeast
Ferment at a VERY low temperature
Lastly Kill yeast and add no more than a can of frozen juice concentrate

This is the best way I figure to duplicate strongbow. it is made with apple juice and is very clear. So use motts. PLus its cheap. The white labs yeast says it brings back the apple flavor. The strongbow label says malic acid right on the label, i figure this is how it gets some of the tartness. Fermenting at a low temp with decrease the chance of imparting any yeast flavor. Lastly adding a the juice concentrate after killing the yeast because strong is still appley and not entirely dry.

Thoughts???? Suggestions???? I really think im on to something but need more input

I am not much of a cider maker so take this with the grain of salt it deserves, but the one time I made cider, it ended up pretty tart from the vitamin c added to the original apple juice as a preservative. Use a yeast nutrient to avoid a healthy case of rhinoceros farts during fermentation.

It's easy as pie to make a Dry Blackthorne clone.

Just apple juice and champ yeast.
Add 4 gr of cane sugar per 500ml.
Ferment for 7-10 days, bottle and you can chill it after another 5 days or so!
It's great,easy,quick and refreshing, especially in the heat over here in Thailand.

I usually put a couple tea bags of earl grey to re-add the tanins lost from using juice. Then i usually just add a shot of apple juice at the pour so it can be sweetened, or not, to taste.

ok not bad.

Now does Strongbow have a tannin taste to it? or just slightly tart appley kind of cider .

I am not much of a wine drinker so I cannot tell you exactly what tannin should taste like but I am not sure how much tannin is in strongbow. but I could be 180 degrees off.

I know this is an OLD post but I have been researching so I wanted to update it.

I saw a couple recipes. Someone said Strongbow finishes at 1.009 i think. I dont have my hydrometer handy so i cant do it myself.

Just had a bottle. Mild apple aroma. ZERO tannin smell or taste. Low Sulpur taste/smell. The color is a light golden color.

This is what Im thinking for a cheap version.

5 gallons apple juice
2.5 tsp of Pectin Enzyme.
3.75 Acid Blend (or maybe a bit less not sure)
No Tannin (for this first experiement)
(Optional) 1/2 dark brown sugar (color slight taste)
Safale -05
Ferment dry (7-10 days primary)
Ferment as cold as yeast will allow
Once 1.000 Kill yeast
Back sweeten with 1 can Apple Juice Concentrate
Age 2 weeks to a month cold
Keg

THOUGHTS? I think this particular one will turn out slightly drier than Strongbow and maybe a bit more tart.

THis is a link to another recipie someone else came up with. Yeast changes and AJ concentrate changes. http://www.samuelkornstein.com/brew...age=recipePrint&brewStyle=English Cider&id=29

Let me know what you guys think? I may try and make this on a small scale. who knows i may make a 5 gal recipe too.

do you think the 1/2 # of dark brown sugar should be omitted ?

it was more for a color, and a little bit of flavor/up the ABV

Back