Fermented for a week, then stopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSum79

Reaction score
Really looking for some help here. This is my first attempt ever at making Hard Cider.

Within a day of mixing my cider, malt sugar and yeast I had fermentation. Went great for a week, then I noticed slowing in the bubbling. Now it has completely stopped. I was concerned about the temperature, so I took a reading and it was near 90 degrees. Have I damaged the yeast? Do I need to cool it all the way down and start again? Add more yeast? I could use any help from the veterans.

it may not be stopped but done. what does your hygrometer say??? at 90º you may have fermented out all the sugar in a week.

I don't have a hygrometer. Like I said, still new. Not really sure all the supplies I need. IF the sugar is fermented out, does that effect the process? Is it done or do I need to add another step to get back on track? Thanks for the help.

you need to get a hygrometer to know for sure, good news is it won't cost you more than $10.00. how does it taste?? If it is done you can bottle it still and dry,prime and bottle carbonate (still dry), stabilize and back sweeten (sweet but still), OR you can back sweeten bottle carb and then pasteurize to end up with a sweet carbonated beverage.

I think a lot of wine yeasts have a fermentation range up close to 90º F (at least mid 80s) I think lalvin even has a strain that can withstand temps up to mid 90s. If you don't have any way to reduce the ambient temps for making cider, I'd probably opt for a wine yeast that's better suited for higher temps. By using a yeast with a temp range of say 55ºF - 75ºF, you might get some off flavors at 15+º over the suggested range.

That all said...you might end up with a beverage you are very happy with regardless.

I can understand the need to ferment at high temps for those living in some warmer climates, but the OP is fermenting in Washington in January. Shouldn't be too difficult to ferment at a lower temp.

Agreed, I'm not sure why he's kept it at 90º either, but if that's the only environment he has to store his vessel, (ie: a hot water heater closet) then I'd opt for a higher range yeast. Just a suggestion without knowing his situation.

The reason it was at 90 degrees was an accident. I bought a warming wrap from my local homebrew store, but it only raises the ambient temp 5-20 degrees. We don't heat our house much to save money so I decided to wrap and electric blanket around it. My initial setting was too high. THAT'S how it got to 90 degrees. I was AIMING for 70.

If that's S-04 the manufactures top end is 24C / 75F. 90 is 15 degrees higher than it's target range.

I'd say grab a hydrometer from your LHBS and see what the SG is at. Barring that, how's it taste?

It's still a little yeasty, but definitely drinkable. I still need to let it settle. Then bottle it. I don't think the batch is ruined. And actually not bad for my first try EVER.

Yep, I would also ferment closer to 65, if possible.
That being said, I had a batch ferment much warmer and it too fermented and finished in about a week and the end result was fine. I wouldn't do it again :) but it was ok.

Gotta spend the $$ and get a hydrometer, for sure. Better make it two, because I think everyone breaks at least one along the way. :)

Got a hydrometer yesterday. Going to try a champagne yeast, corn sugar and real apples this time. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back