First Time Using Blowoff Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIceGfunk

Reaction score
I I just brewed a Belgian Tripel which ended at a 1.085 OG and I pitched two yeast packets so I'm expecting a lot of action. I decided to use a blow off tube for the first time. Does this system look ok? Any adjustments?

image-1340362210.jpg

Looks OK to me. But even if it fills that smaller container, it's still a cement floor, so no big deal.

Yea maybe you can't tell by the picture but I filled the pitcher half way. I'll add some starsan to the water though.

It's a good idea. Many brewers have had the liquid sucked back into the fermenter. If the temp decreases in the fermenter (which it absolutely will when the exothermic fermentation finishes) it can happen. Get some starsan in that water and no worries.

Is that a 5gal carboy? Yes change out the water. if you have a bigger pitcher get it you are going to have allot more blow off.

I put the catch container in a 5 gallon bucket. Since there is only 5 gallons of wort, I think it should hold all the blow off even if it is foamy.

passedpawn said:
Bwaah! (don't say i didn't warn you)

BTW, with a temp-controlled fridge or freezer, you can suppress a lot of that by dialing the temp down. I do this to keep fermentation under control.

It's probably around 65 degrees down there so it's kinda chilly. I will change the water out and use a bigger pitcher.

Back