Partial or full grain mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
Ok is it worth it just to make the all grain system or just try and make the partial. And what a good thing to use when making a false bottom.

Partial Mash-
partial mash is what got me started, I mean you can stove top it. I think the only piece of equipment that I use for partial mash I don't use for AG brewing is my original stock pot, which cost me like $20. I've done a few AG batches, but I still do PM when I don't feel like making the effort for AG or when I'm teaching people to home brew, its just a simpler process IMHO. You can always upgrade from PM to AG by adding in equipment later. As for flavor profiles, yeah, you can potentially get better flavor from all grain, but if you have a recipe thats 50% or more two-row, I don't really see the problem with replacing that with an unhopped light malt extract, maybe I'll find out when I do my blonde ale PM I've previously done AG.

If your eventual plan is to go AG, then I guess just go AG, but if youre goal is making great beer, go PM first, then AG later. 14lbs of grain gets a lot heavier when it's wet!

I wouldn't specifically build something that can only do a partial mash - equipment regret is a common thing in homebrewing. Save your money for just a bit longer and you can get the full system.

One of the advantages to a partial mash brew is being able to use what you already have. A grain bag or two, the same pots, etc, so you can make better beer with equipment you already have.

When I started on partial mash beers, I lined my bottling bucket with a great big mesh bag, and did it in my bottling bucket! It worked well until I got a mashtun with a false bottom and a much bigger pot.

Check out the "sticky" threads at the top of this forum on "Partial mashing" or "All grain brewing" on the stovetop. Great how-tos on how to work with what you already have.

For a false bottom or manifold, there are lots of ways to do it. A homemade manifold out of copper or cPVC works well, as does a stainless steel braid from the plumbing supply. I bought a false bottom, but that isn't necessary!

all-grain is much tastier than anything else, and has more variety

One out of two isn't bad. ;)

I will agree that AG affords a greater variety of brewing, but taste comes down to recipe, talent, and good ingredients. I've tasted lousy AG and fantastic PM/extract beer.

Back