First Time Buyer/Brewer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUpaintballer

Reaction score
I am strongly considering getting into homebrewing. I am a poor college kid so I am on a tight budget. I have a few questions.

I am looking at a few kits. I have found some great deals on the net that fit well into my budget, however they dont come with the 5' Glass Carbonyl for secondary fermentation. Now my question is, should I start off with a 2ndary right away, or should I make a few batches, learn the beer making art, then upgrade to a 2ndary?

2. What is the best tasting begginer brew that I should start off with. I am a huge Oberon, Winter White and Blue Moon fan, and will like to make something kind of like those but I Dont want to make a mistake and wait weeks to find out I did?

Thanks for all the help

I get all my stuff at the grape and granery. www.thegrape.net they seem to be the cheapest I could find for an all inclusive kit. I got a two stage w/ glass carboy, two cases of bottles, caps, capper, brew kettle, and a irish red kit for $160. Personally I did a single stage ferment for my first brew for simplicity, but after doing a two stage I realized Its really not much harder.

You can go ahead and brew without a secondary fermenter. After a few brews you might consider getting one. Most important thing is learning the basics, which you can do without the carboy - and you will still produce good beer.

I've never heard of those beers, but i'm guessing they're wheat beers? Maybe someone else will post a recipe; I don't know much about American wheat beers.

mysterio said:
I've never heard of those beers, but i'm guessing they're wheat beers? Maybe someone else will post a recipe; I don't know much about American wheat beers.

Blue Moon is an americanized Belgian Witt (wheat beer with bitter orange peel and corriander seeds for spicing it up).

You could use a generic Belgian Witt recipe, but put american ale yeast in it instead of belgian witt yeast to produce something like Blue Moon. I'm assuming that the Winter White is also a spiced wheat beer.

I've heard that this kind of beer isn't really the easiest to brew.

As you read more and more about homebrewing, you will learn that a secondary fermentation is absolutely uneccesary. Because of this, there is no real important reason for you to upgrade now.

I still use secondary fermenter because:

1. I feel that it makes the final product a bit clearer.
2. I like to be able to see my beer as it clears up. Since I still use a plastic bucket for primary, the glass carboy gives me a chance to look at the beer in secondary.

As for brewing a Belgian Wit style - it sounds like this is the kind of beer you describe - I would not recommend this style for your first brew. This style requires a variety of unique spice additions - coriander, bitter orange peel, etc. - and won't be the easiest recipe; however, if you are able to find a good clone recipe for one of those beers, . . .go for it.

A good starter brew would be an American Pale Ale or a Porter. . . . IMHO

Back