Do you ever enjoy cheap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can't explain it, but I still almost always have some PBR around, and I like it once in a while.

Let me explain that in high school my favorite beer was Deschutes Black Butte Porter (back when they were a Micro), and in the 13 odd years since, my personal quest has been to find/make the bitterest, most aromatic, full-bodied IPA possible.

I have been drinking great beer for a long time, I just like the crap too sometimes.

Anyone else?

The sports bar across the street from me and next to the hockey arena serves 2 dollar pbrs, as well as a crappy beer selection. During IHL hockey season, I'm there at least 2 times a week if not more...

So I've taken a liking to PBRs...it's either that or dudweiser.

I always have a couple of Mooseheads (the beer... not actual moose heads) in the fridge.

When I want to give a break to my taste buds, I'll go with that.

Mmm, not really. Except I do think PBR and Yuengling taste a lot better than BMC, even if they are also considered "BMC" beers. I prefer them over Bud.

But I generally like Belgian beers the most - I'm not a cheap date ;)

And damn you for living within distribution range of Deschutes! Man I miss their Mirror Pond Pale Ale. Used to live in Bozeman, MT and had a lot of NW/W beers.

My dog's got a soft spot for Lone Star

chloe-lonestar.jpg

So do I.... :D

I like PBR too. I almost always have lite BMC in the fridge for guests that don't want homebrew. There aren't many, but there are a few.

I still like a Mickey's Big Mouth every now and then. That's some pure green awesomeness right there!

PBR owns the following:

Lonestar
Olympia
Falstaff
Old Milwaukee
Colt 45
Rainier
Old Style
Special Export
Schlitz Malt Liquour
Schmidt
National
Stag
Stroh's
Country Club Malt Liquour
McSorley's
Schaefer
St Ides
Blatz
Pearl
Ballentine
Champale
Olympia
Carling Black Label
Piels and
Haffenreffer...:D

I grew up on some of them. I haven't had a BMC since 1975, but I did like Stroh's after coming back to the States from Germany...for a while anyway...

I dive into Yuengling (aka Bling Bling) Lager here and there. It is bearable considering how cheap it is. Other than, I won't turn down free Miller Lite in the warm weather...

Yuengling? Cheap? You need to go back to college haha.

Busch is where it's at for REALLY cheap beer. $11 a case. And I have been known to drink High Life/Miller Lite on occasion. I like drinking cheap beer only when I'm in the mood to get a little intoxicated. Because then I drink a bunch of them and am not poor.

PBR owns the following:

Lonestar
Olympia
Falstaff
Old Milwaukee
Colt 45
Rainier
Old Style
Special Export
Schlitz Malt Liquour
Schmidt
National
Stag
Stroh's
Country Club Malt Liquour
McSorley's
Schaefer
St Ides
Blatz
Pearl
Ballentine
Champale
Olympia
Carling Black Label
Piels and
Haffenreffer...:D

I grew up on some of them. I haven't had a BMC since 1975, but I did like Stroh's after coming back to the States from Germany...for a while anyway...

And they don't own a brewery, all contract brewed. It makes sense as a business decision.

And Ballentine is just sad. Making an IPA until 1971-2 when they went under. If they could have hung around 10-15 years maybe they could have got back into the nations top 5 brewers as they were in the 40's early 50's

Busch is where it's at for REALLY cheap beer. $11 a case. And I have been known to drink High Life/Miller Lite on occasion. I like drinking cheap beer only when I'm in the mood to get a little intoxicated. Because then I drink a bunch of them and am not poor.

I pay just under $4 for 6 Yuengling. That's cheap enough for me. There is a fine line between cheap but still drinkable and cheap but still alcohol...

Like i posted before on another thread. If im drinking poo beer i dont even look at what im getting just the price tag. I mean really whats the point. You cant go wrong with a Keystone ice 5.9 ABV and $12.76 for a 30 pack at wally world. Only one bad thing when i drink it. It makes me wanna grow a mullet and beat women.

Hmmm. this is a loaded question. I can brew beer for 40 cents a pint. That's cheap, and I make great beer.

BTW,I wouldn't consider Yuengling cheap. Inexpensive but not cheap.

High life, Yes
Busch is only good if you pour 6 in a pitcher and add a Bigfoot. It's a good beer then;)

Sometimes a case of Lucky Lager is called for when you're camping or floating down the river on your tube. (Can be substituted for Old Style Pilsner)

If anyone is from the pacific northwest you'll know what I'm talking about...

My cheap beer would be something like Widmer Hefeweizen or RedHook ESB. I don't enjoy any BMC or PBR. But to each, his/her own.

When I lived in Germany in the early 90s, I could get a rack (20 half liter bottles) of this stuff for about 7 Deutschemarks (about 5 bucks in the day).

kiste.gif

Man would you have bier farts the next day, but Oettinger Pils blew away any BMC beer any day and still does.

When I lived in Germany in the early 90s, I could get a rack (20 half liter bottles) of this stuff for about 7 Deutschemarks (about 5 bucks in the day).

kiste.gif

Man would you have bier farts the next day, but Oettinger Pils blew away any BMC beer any day and still does.

I love you for posting a picture of that. When I lived in Germany we threw a party for like 40 people on 45 Euros with Oettinger!! And we got those cases back on a bicycle no less!

Sometimes a case of Lucky Lager is called for when you're camping or floating down the river on your tube. (Can be substituted for Old Style Pilsner)

If anyone is from the pacific northwest you'll know what I'm talking about...

Yeah but at our prices, 6 Lucky are still $10. 6 good beer are $15.

I can brew 10 gallons for $30-$40. That is ~17 6 packs for $2-$3 / six pack.

kiste.gif

Yeah, a co-worker of mine used to purchase that and the deposit on the rack and bottles was more than the beer costs. One German told him that Germans don't even drink that!!!

Oettinger does make a good spezi though...;)

I have a collection of 23 racks that I use when bottling...:D

I had a Schlitz after mowing the lawn yesterday. Cheap yellow beer has it's place and time. It's generally thirst quenching and some brands are actually pretty good. Beer snobs are often afraid to be seen drinking the stuff, and some of it is just awful (Beast, Fosters, keystone, etc.), but I rather enjoy some of them, plus there's a nostalgia factor with some old brands.

My favs (all "oldies but goodies"):
Schlitz
PBR
Hudy Delight (a relic of Cincinnati's brewing heritage)
Little Kings Cream Ale (another relic; especially tastey, and with the added allure of making you feel like Andre the Giant whenever you drink them)
1395.jpg

I used to buy cheap beer all the time. I don't very often any more, though, because it's becoming hard to find where I live.

Back in college, we had an Open Pantry (like a 7-11) near us. They tended to stock all kinds of really obscure off brands from the major breweries. My roommate and I would go over there and intentionally search out the weirdest, cheapest brands we could find.

I remember, too, some years ago that Otto's a big liquor store with several locations in our area, must have gotten a big truckload really cheap of Grain Belt beer. They were selling it for $1.99 a sixpack and $2.99 for a 12. Man, did I ever drink a lot of that stuff!

Often, the cheaper brands don't taste all that bad, if you ask me. Not only that, but sometimes they are a lot more interesting an less bland than drinking Bud or Genuine Draft or something.

Often, the cheaper brands don't taste all that bad, if you ask me. Not only that, but sometimes they are a lot more interesting an less bland than drinking Bud or Genuine Draft or something.

Good Point. We tend to lump all cheap lagers into one category under the derogatory blanket of BMC. There are about 20 cheap/low quality beers that I would pick in a hartbeat over any of the three breweries encompassed by that acronym.

If it's 85° out and I just got done mowing the lawn, am I reaching for a PBR or an Arrogant Bastard?

Although, my cream ale is the tits, so I'm gonna reach for that instead. :)

Hell yeah, cheap beer has its place. I especially like PBR, Coors original, and High Life. MGD, on the other hand, always gives me a horrendous headache, even if I've only had one.

I think most of the homebrewers that go for the macro beers on occassion are probably the same ones that don't brew milder, lighter beers for themselves. We seem to be on such a F-BMC rampage that we (not me really) tend to not have a decent quaffable summer beer on hand. Maybe that's not true at all but I know that I have a lighter session beer always tapped with another waiting. I've got a Special Bitter (on the light end of the SRM scale) tapped right now and have a Munich Helles in the ferm fridge.

If it's 85° out and I just got done mowing the lawn, am I reaching for a PBR or an Arrogant Bastard?

Arrogant Bastard ofcourse. Though a good dry stout is better at that point.

I can't stand american lite lagers. I won't even drink them if they are free. So no I don't enjoy a PBR or any other cheap beer. The cheapest I'll go is Guiness or Murphy's. However usually if they don't have a decent micro or import I'm drinking water. At home its usually homebrew or some new micro/import I picked up the last time I went to the LHBS.

Craig

I think most of the homebrewers that go for the macro beers on occassion are probably the same ones that don't brew milder, lighter beers for themselves. We seem to be on such a F-BMC rampage that we (not me really) tend to not have a decent quaffable summer beer on hand. Maybe that's not true at all but I know that I have a lighter session beer always tapped with another waiting. I've got a Special Bitter (on the light end of the SRM scale) tapped right now and have a Munich Helles in the ferm fridge.

I brew a wide variety of gravities but most tend to be full flavored darker ales. The majority are Stouts and IPAs. If I'm hot and thirsty I drink water. If I want a beer I want flavor. I don't care for many pale beers and have never been able to drink any of the BMCs.

Craig

10388.gif

That is my cheap beer of choice. Seems to me that mainly people from Bawlmer (read: Batlimore) area really enjoy it....still $20 for 2 cases.....which reminds me, my cheap beer stock is dry

That's exactly why we recently brewed a cream ale. I wanted something light, cheap, and refreshing (and something that my bro-in-law will actually drink). I think we may brew a kolsch next.

About the closest I come to a Light American Lager are some grocery store APA's.

I always have a hefe, a blond, a kölsch and an APA going in the summer.

I went on a long bike ride for the last three days. One stop in a small town here in Mo. I asked what beer he had. He replied naming off all the a.b. coors busch natty. I asked him what kind of good beer he had. He stated STAG. The owner was sold on stag. I ended up putting away my first 6 STAGS away last night and for cheap beer you cant beat it. It also helped me bike that 60+ miles today.

Back