Dry yeast for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
We have made a batch of Hefeweizen using WhiteLabs #300, just bottled yesterday, but I'm sure it will be the best beer, ever. Are there any dry yeasts suitable for wheat beers that will give the characteristics sought in classic hefeweisens? You know, cloves, bananas, spicy, etc....

While we're at it, dry yeast for Kolsch? Belgian style Wit?

Not to get on your case, but ... NO!!!

If you're looking for a particular flavor...it comes from the yeast. Use another yeast you get another (possibly not the desired one) flavor. YES...it REALLY is that simple. ;)

Don't want to spend up to $8 for liquid (THE RIGHT YEAST) then learn how to wash your yeast to bring your cost per batch down. :D ;)

Wheat, yes. Hefeweizen, no.

Safbrew S-33 A robust ale yeast able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Used to produce a wide range of beer styles including Belgian wheat and Trappist beers.

Brewferm Blanche is a top fermenting yeast suitable for producing Belgian-style Witbiers and other brews where light banana and clove aromas are desired.

There are some dry yeasts that are comparable to the liquid yeasts for Belgian Wit: Safbrew WB-06 and Safbrew T-58. I have produced Belgian Wits using both and I find them 90% there in flavour with the Wyeast Wit Beer strain.

Back