Corona mill motor speed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking into creating a belt and pulley wheel system for my corona mill. Recently stepped up to 10 gallon batches & am finding crushing 20 + pounds of grain w/ the hand drill to be pretty annoying. Has anyone built a similar system? And if so what would you suggest for a good RPM range?

I just got a Corona mill too. I used my hammer drill on it last week, and I let it go full speed! I'm thinking it was too fast. I think I'll get a better crush if I slow it down a bit. It seems to pulverize it more when I run it full speed. I tried slowing it down a little, and I got less flour. I will admit that either way I get thru 20 lbs in no time flat!

I use the Harbor freight D handle drill, 1/2" w/ gobs of power. I would guess it spins 2-400 rpms and works well, about 35 bucks on sale. Belt and pulley will work as well, but will likely cost 100 bucks. Put a guard on the belt if you like all 10 fingers. For the money and simplicity...the HF drill is hard to beat IMHO.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

or this is a favorite as well for 10 more
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

I use the Harbor freight D handle drill, 1/2" w/ gobs of power. I would guess it spins 2-400 rpms and works well, about 35 bucks on sale. Belt and pulley will work as well, but will likely cost 100 bucks. Put a guard on the belt if you like all 10 fingers. For the money and simplicity...the HF drill is hard to beat IMHO.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

or this is a favorite as well for 10 more
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

I use the first drill linked here. Run it on slowest speed on dial, lock trigger, done. Guessing it runs about 200RPM which is ideal speed for milling.

With the HF drills is there enough torque, are people having any trouble with the mill jamming? I'm planning in scooping one after work today to build a mill this weekend. It seems like a no-brainer when comparing the drill to a motor with all the pulleys. (Even though that would probably be a fun project)

Do the drills come with an auto trigger lock or what are people using to keep it spinning? Zip tie?

Thanks for any info,

Corey

With the HF drills is there enough torque, are people having any trouble with the mill jamming? I'm planning in scooping one after work today to build a mill this weekend. It seems like a no-brainer when comparing the drill to a motor with all the pulleys. (Even though that would probably be a fun project)

Do the drills come with an auto trigger lock or what are people using to keep it spinning? Zip tie?

Thanks for any info,

Corey

My cordless drill couldn't handle it. It would jam. I was surprised, because that thing is a beast! So, instead I use my hammer drill, and it doesn't get jammed. Even at a slow speed it's done in a couple minutes (12lb grain bill), so I don't think you really need a trigger lock.

It's a 10Amp drill...it gotz nutz

Yea, that's confirmed! I hit what I think was a little stone in a grainbill one day while milling, the mill locked up but the drill spun out of my unsuspecting hands and spun wildly for a few revs, fortunately the cord was winding around the spinning monster and freed itself from the outlet...keep a firm grip on this drill, it can surprise ya:mug:

Sweet! Thanks for the responses. I just scooped up the 1/2" HD low speed drill for 38$! That includes tax. They accepted the 20% coupon posted! Can't wait to get it set-up to mill through the grains for the white IPA I'm brewing tomorrow.

A little off topic- what mills are you guys using? Been looking into a corona for the home setup.

Corona-style. Works wonderfully. BIAB'ers can mill even more fine with it and enjoy uber efficiency. I mill pretty fine (hose braid) too and things turn out great. Been conditioning the grain (spray bottle, mix with hands until silky and slightly sticky) and checking crush as I mill to make sure it's fine enough. Learned my lesson there.

I ordered mine from Austin Homebrew, since I was already ordering stuff from them anyway. It was on sale for $29.00. The box says Corona, but there's a different name on the mill itself (which i don't remember at the moment). So far I love it!

To maintain tension on the belt in a pulley-type setup, I'm not sure how well a Corona-type mill will hold up with the lateral pressures exerted on the rather thin bearing on it's shaft. I'd stick with a drill....well, I do. I use an old Craftsman 1/2" AC drill to drive my Corona, and have no complaints.

Back