brewed cider as a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
can you used a previously brewed batch of cider as a starter, given that you haven't pasteurized it and killed the yeast?

ive been using bakers yeast since its supper cheap and available but most of the yeasts that people say are really good are around 7 bucks online (no brewing shops near my location) and i dont want to have to order more every time i make a batch.

is it possible to just add some previously brewed cider to a new batch to get it to ferment? if so will the yeast reproduce, will it take longer to ferment, will it change the taste?

what yeast do you recommend for semi-sweet 7-10% abv

also, has any one ever tired supper yeast when making apple cider, it cough my eye while trolling the internet. said it makes 20% abv, but how does it taste.

In order of questions asked:
1. Yes you can reuse yeast.

2. When you say previously brewed cider, do you mean like adding a bottle to a batch and having it ferment? I would guess it might work, but will take a long time to start and get going and the yeast will be super stressed and will most-likely produce off flavors.

3. I love Nottingham Ale yeast.

4. As far as using a super yeast it will be all about balancing the flavor. I have a buddy who makes a beer he likes to call "The Hulk" with super yeast. The first batch was slightly under 24%. So technically it can be done. It's all about adding enough fermentables to make it happen. And then letting it age. With just apple juice I'd guess you might be looking at not opening it before the next leap year possibly with out it being fusel.

Latest posts

Back