New Cloud Brewing Application Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand11587

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A friend and I have developed a recipe log and brew log application that we invite all of you to check out! It is free! It is located at http://www.brewernauts.com

It uses BeerXML just like all of the other software out there, except you don't have to purchase or install anything on your desktop for it to work! Access your recipes and brewing calendar/log/diary/notebook/whatever-you-call-it from any computer. Cloud brewing at its finest :D

Coming soon:
- recipe sharing (from your other brewing software and from friends online)
- calculators for temperature, ibu, gravities, efficiency, water, all that great stuff
- inventory tracking
- mobile app, andriod and iphone.

I figured I'd tell you guys about it first because I have gotten a ton of help from this community over the past 2 years and only thought it appropriate to give something back. Feedback appreciated!
:mug:

That seems like a reasonable request, Ace_Club.

I have added some screenshots to the page linked in the first post.

is there going to be functionality to make an inventory and match it to recipes... ie, with what you have you can brew a .....

I live in a place where I either have to have stuff shipped to my door or brew from a very small selection of grains at my LHBS. a tool that would allow me to manage my inventory and maybe shipping would be much appreciated

is there going to be functionality to make an inventory and match it to recipes... ie, with what you have you can brew a .....

Yes! That is on the upcoming features list. Maybe even tied in to a online supplier for quick ordering and tracking.

Really like what you're doing.

If you need any assistance with the calculations for yeast pitch, bottling, water volumes, ABV, etc... I'd certainly be willing to help.

cp

just a suggestion. I was thinking that it would be cool if the app could tell you something about how the batch would ferment. so you would spec the yeast and the temperature and the app would provide you some info about how the yeast would perform under those conditions. for example, if I selected a 6gallon fermemter and w3068 at 24C the software might say lots of banana flavors, you will need a blow off tube...

Just a thought.

Great start. If you need a designer's eye at some point in the future, let me know.

I will likely convert to this once the functionality is available to import my brewlog and recipe database.

here's another idea: what about one click recipe ordering from an online store? is that even possible to do? set an online store and have the app automatically fill a cart with the hops, yeast and fermentables?

that is definitely possible, we were looking for partner stores that would like to interface with our platform and allow us to add recipes to carts (or add ingredients from a brewing store into your inventory on our site)

we are almost ready to release the second version! Should be here in time for spring time brewing (for us northern folks)

man I can't wait. I'm so sick of beersmith. it feels like I've stepped back into windows 98. will there be a search function in the new version

? oooo, how about a line plot of gravity for a brew.... in the cloud you could have people log the G and the time after yeast pitch and create a cool plot showing gravity over time.... that would be super cool...

Fin

yes, once you can import beerxml and your newest version hits i'll probably jump in. I'm a cloud kinda person. Whoever is running the mobile app development an app for an android tablet would be king with the new fragments layout. I wish i could program

Great beginning! I look forward to using it once things like importing, unit settings, and estimations are in place. It really does look great so far!

Signed up yesterday and have tried using the import function. Looks like it's not yet working, but when it does I'll definitely be using this. It'd be nice to be able to update my brewsheet from my phone whilst I brew! Hydrometer temp conversions would also be nice to have.

exporting works, importing will work in the next couple days. just finishing up some testing

then it appears that the next most requested feature is some estimated stats and conversion tools.

I'm loving it. Only issue I am seeing so far is that it is extraordinarily slow (as in about 1 minute to select a fermentable in the list) but that may just be my connection at work. I'll try again when I get home.

Another suggestion is to allow editing of the the hop AA. Or do we need to add a custom hop when we have a different AA hop?

we were thinking about creating an inventory that would sync up to whatever homebrewing store wanted to partner with us. we havent talked to any yet, though (if you are out there and interested, let me know!)

we have just released importing/exporting recipes and exporting brews. as well as converting units for hops, fermentables, temp, etc.

we didnt allow for importing of brews because we didnt think any of you had brew logs in beer XML form, plus, we use a few non-beerxml data types to track the brews and connect them to individual recipes, so that would get messy.

if you DO have a brewlog that you want to import, let us know and we will spend some time trying to find an easy way to synch them up.

If you have Windows Phone 7 you can do this with beermith. Just right click the recipe in beersmith to sen to OneNote. Then the recipe is in the cloud and I can place the recipe on my home screen of my phone. Just one click and it is up.

Of course you need a Windows Phone 7, which nobody has.

This looks pretty awesome, one question though... Is there any way that those of use who are still in the stone age and don't understand the metric system can use the imperial system instead (pounds, ounces, quarts, gallons, etc...)?

EDIT: In case anybody else is wondering how to change these options, click on "Settings" (upper right, just to the left of "Log Out") and it's pretty self explanatory from there. I feel kind of like a dumba$$ for not finding it right away but in my defense my resolution is turned up pretty high and it was hard to see!

I just broke ground on a project exactly like this. I'm excellent at backend programming but not too great with the design part so I am dreading the front end stuff. With so many other apps now I'm starting to second-guess my project though. I'd love to contribute to this project in any way so PM me if you you have some ideas for things where my skill set would come in handy.

So, I just tried this out (thanks, looking good!), and imported a BeerXML recipe from my Beer Alchemy program for OS X. Brewernauts did a good job of pulling items in and setting them into the correct sections, but all were custom items, so no numbers were calculated. I replaced all items with Brewernaut's own item selection, which then at least started giving me OG, FG, etc.

Most everything looks right, though it keeps wanting to oddly un-round my numbers. If I put in 4 oz of Caramel 120, it unrounds it to 3.9999967315362 oz. IBUs came out right, but SRM is way off (BA lists my recipe as 14.1SRM, Brewernauts says 25).

How the heck do you put in yeast numbers?! I just want to say, I'm adding two vials of WLP028. BN is asking for grams per gallon, and doesn't list White Labs, at least not that I'm seeing. EDIT: Found it, actually listed as correct name, Edinburgh. How many grams are in a vial, does anyone know? The only numbers I've found on the net are 30-40ml/vial... And then, if I just BS and say 14 grams/gallon (metric/english?), the recipe shows as using 14 GALLONS of yeast slurry. If I say, OK, well, let's drop in 0.0025g/gal, it shows as 0 GALLONS of yeast on the recipe page.

Not saying this is a crap site, it's actually looking pretty cool, but there's some really basic things which need to be looked at. Others mentioned needing to be able to adjust the alpha acid percentage of each hop they use, very important. Boil-off info (custom profiles) would be a nice addition, as well. Adding White Labs yeasts is a big thing for me...

Less important: can we tell the site to call out GRAINS as ounces, but FERMENTABLES as pounds? I rarely use less than a half pound of any one extract, but I rarely use more than 16 oz of a specialty grain.

Keep up the great work!

After reading the positive feedback, I tried registering. I haven't received the activation email. I checked my spam and there is nothing in there. I tried to find an email address on the website, but there was none. I tried resetting my password, but haven't received the link yet. Is the site still valid? Thank you.

I was able to import my recipes from Brewtarget. Only problem is they are all exactly the same. Same fermentables, same hops, etc. All the amounts are the same too. Weird.

Back