Roggenbier- to decoct or not to decoct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windigstadt

Reaction score
So here's my conundrum... I want to brew a Roggenbier on Saturday, but I have a social obligation that evening so I'm trying to make it quick (it generally takes me about five hours to kick out a five-gallon batch). Obviously decoctions mean more time, but I'm also dealing with 50% rye, which is a notoriously slow sparger (I fly sparge). Would a protein rest improve the sparge rate so that it'll be worth the extra time? Or should I just suck it up and do a simple infusion mash? I'll naturally be using rice hulls, but other than that any advice for keeping things moving along quickly? Thanks for any and all advice!

If you can spare the time, go with decoction, but otherwise, I would try a protein rest of about a half hour. I've had more problems with wheat malt over rye for stuck sparges, but either way, I don't like to find out the hard way.

Back