sweetening sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignick

Reaction score
i have a few recipes that i would like to carbonate and sweeten at the same time, but i am unsure exactly how to do that. i dont want to use splenda because i personally hate the stuff. i cant use any type of fermentable sugar because that will be used for priming. any advice on what i should do?

Get a keg setup and force carb.....or use Malto dextrin. It's about 12% fermentable, so it'll help carb, and it's going to leave a sweet taste.
I thought all these years that Malto Dextrin was NOT fermentable??? :confused:

A quick GOOGLE search and I found it is NOT, it IS, but only 5%, and...what's the real scoop???

I thought all these years that Malto Dextrin was NOT fermentable??? :confused:

A quick GOOGLE search and I found it is NOT, it IS, but only 5%, and...what's the real scoop???

My quote comes from the product description on MD on Austin Home Brew. I would still call 10% nearly negligible due to the actual fermentable sugar that would be added for the volume of MD used.

A keg set up would be a great idea for hard lemonade and hard iced tea. but i was under the impression that it is expensive. also what should i use to sweeten apfelwein so that it can be carbed in champagne bottles?

Back