Hibiscus Mead ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDim

Reaction score
While doing my weekly shopping at my regular Supermarket (Shopright) I picked up a pack of Red Zinger Hibiscus Tea , Umm..

What do you guys think about using it? Would you use it all or would you rather use dried hibiscus flowers from some online store? How much would you use for a 5gal batch? What type of Hops would you say go well with it?

Thank you.

I have found that celestial seasonings likes to put a lot of lemon grass in there herbal teas and from my experience non of that flavor survives primary fermentation. Also the concentration of actual hibiscus and rose hips in the tea is limited. I would say get some dried hibiscus floweres and some rose hips to use rather than the tea blend. Just because the celestial seasonings tea I use just don't have flavors that last. It might be good if you steep the tea in secondary only. I haven't tried that.

For hops I think I like Saaz hops in mead. I think Saaz and honey mix well.

Back