Boiling In Cast Iron Or Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
I have a Monday home in left field. Waaaaaay over yonder, and was wondering if one can boil in cast iron or glass. I mean, I know it can be done, but how would it go? There are cooking pots and pans made of both. I love my cast iron frying pans.

I imagine a 4+ gallon cast iron pot would be as heavy as a ton of feathers and take a long time to bring to boil. Then there's the rust. My frying pans have that 'seasoning' glaze of much use, and cooking oil, upon them. A trip or two through the dishwasher and that's gone; replaced by a powdery orange film of rust. Grandma was right. "Kid, ya can't put that in the dishwasher." Are there any other chemical reaction worries here?

Glass, maybe not so heavy, but would have to be pretty thick and still heavier than a stainless steel pot one could do the same job in. I can't think of any chemical wores, though.

Both probably cost more, too.

Zul'jin said:
Both probably cost more, too.

You said it, both cost more and have more disadvantages.

When you can get those blue enamel pots, aluminum turley fryer pots and Stainless steel ate pretty reasonable prices if you do some searching.

I'd be concerned about breaking glass, and your cast iron will rust. Cast Iron is great after you have cooked like 50 greasy meals in it and never washed with soap. Unfortunately boiling water in it for an hour will take off every last molecule of grease leaving it susceptible to rust.

sirsloop said:
I'd be concerned about breaking glass, and your cast iron will rust. Cast Iron is great after you have cooked like 50 greasy meals in it and never washed with soap. Unfortunately boiling water in it for an hour will take off every last molecule of grease leaving it susceptible to rust.

It would also transfer that grease to your wort most likely leaving you with a beer with little to no head and possible flavor issues

Hemochromatosis? Most cases are genetically based, but making beer in cast iron is another route.

Also tastes really bad.

Back