Dry Hop a NewBeglium Amber Ale Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sail681

Reaction score
So I mad a NewBelgium Amber Ale clone, which I expect to be a biscuity amber ale. After drinking a few store bought ones this past weekend, i wondered if i could add a little twist and change mine... I'm moving to my secondary this weekend for 2 wks after it being in primary for 2 wks.

What would I likely get if I dry hop this for a week in the secondary with an ounce of pellets? Would it be a nice hop aroma smelling beer without a hop taste that would be confusing? or would it just add a nice nose and make it appear to have a nice subtle sweetness (that is actually just smell and perceived taste, rather than an actual taste?)

In my experience you will definitely get at least some added flavor and obviously aroma from dryhop additions. I just finished my keg of Fat Tire while being able to try a fresh bottle of the real thing side by side and I have to say this beer is all about the malt. The hop flavor and aroma is very faint here and if you wanted to stay truer to the real thing, then I would not dry hop. The clone recipe I brewed was spot on IMO, especially the aroma. But if you do decide to dry hop, you should know what to expect and im sure it wont hurt.

Back