Maryland Big Brew Day 2007!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

98EXL

Reaction score
So I think I was suckered into hosting the First Annual Maryland Big Brew Day 2007 at my house....this all decided by jezter6. :)D)

Anyway, I think the deal would be everyone bring your stuff and we'll brew at my house on the huge ass driveway....listen to tunes (so bring your iPods, or whatever) and play beer pong and drink beer obviously!

I already told my one buddy who I do all of my projects with to come (I started brewing with his equipment while he moved) even though he hasn't brewed in years

So I guess the question is, who wants to come, and any suggestions for dates...I'm thinking sometime in the middle of November

Word! I'm definately down.

Pending plans, I have 2 turkey fryers and the ability to do 10 gallons in each batch, so we can do a bunch of big batches and split them up, or do a bunch of small batches. Either way works for me.

Evan! said:
Hmmm...I bet the drive back would aerate my wort right nice. ;)

Oh hell yeah it would.....and crap, you are only like 3.5 hours away....well, how far are you from VaTech?

All I need is an electrical outlet and a garden hose and I can bring mine too. :drunk: When's the big day?

I'm tentatively in, though I may be in Austin at that time...

I also have never brewed AG so I think I'll just come and observe, and/or help out.

Cap'n Jewbeard said:
I'm tentatively in, though I may be in Austin at that time...

I also have never brewed AG so I think I'll just come and observe, and/or help out.

That's fine, I've done that before....lets you drink more beers

hello, I was wondering if maybe you guys wouldn't mind an extreme newb attending if it weren't too far away. I live in Southern Maryland, St. Mary's County. I know it's kinda weird maybe cuz noone knows me or anything. I've been diving into all the posts for the past couple of months and have already started. I'm a week away from botteling my first but thought it would be cool to come and watch. If this were all to work out, I do have a turkey fryer that I could bring as an extra for someone else to use. I'm really interested in seeing other people's techniques, picking your brains (yeah now there really going to invite you, you just said I'm gonna pick your brains, and now your talking to yourself, great) on the in's and out's and really interested in seeing someone do AG. I really want to see whats really all involved in person.

mcdon26 said:
hello, I was wondering if maybe you guys wouldn't mind an extreme newb attending if it weren't too far away. I live in Southern Maryland, St. Mary's County. I know it's kinda weird maybe cuz noone knows me or anything. I've been diving into all the posts for the past couple of months and have already started. I'm a week away from botteling my first but thought it would be cool to come and watch. If this were all to work out, I do have a turkey fryer that I could bring as an extra for someone else to use. I'm really interested in seeing other people's techniques, picking your brains (yeah now there really going to invite you, you just said I'm gonna pick your brains, and now your talking to yourself, great) on the in's and out's and really interested in seeing someone do AG. I really want to see whats really all involved in person.

c'mon over...STC is only an hour, to an hour and a half away....you know everyone started just like you, so come and see what it's all about

Evan! said:
You're in Annapolis? gmaps says 3 hours, which probably means 2-4 depending on Beltway/I-66 traffic...

ahh, that is kinda far, damn

mcdon26 said:

Dude, I think you'd be as welcome as anyone. It would be my plan to try and make a few big batches so that as many people get to take home some wort as possible.

I have the capacity to do 2 10g batches at a time, so if people are chipping in for grain, the 15 gallons can go out to 3 other people who want in, and I'll take 5 home with us.

Nothing better than getting to help, and take home some fruit of your labor, even if you don't know what you're doing.

SPeaking of which, did you bottle up the Steam yet, G?

jezter6 said:
Dude, I think you'd be as welcome as anyone. It would be my plan to try and make a few big batches so that as many people get to take home some wort as possible.

I have the capacity to do 2 10g batches at a time, so if people are chipping in for grain, the 15 gallons can go out to 3 other people who want in, and I'll take 5 home with us.

Nothing better than getting to help, and take home some fruit of your labor, even if you don't know what you're doing.

SPeaking of which, did you bottle up the Steam yet, G?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I bottled it.....I put it in one giant 5 gallon bottle ;) :p

jezter6 said:
It would be my plan to try and make a few big batches so that as many people get to take home some wort as possible.

Right on. My system can handle 10 gallons at a time, 20 if I bookend 'em right. :drunk:

Sounds like fun. When's the big day?

jezter6 said:
Sometime in Nov I guess.

Coming fast.....

Did this ever materialize?? I have only recently returned to brewing and would love to witness an all grain brewing process. I have begun to make extract brews again and will soon move to 1/2 extract and1/2 mash....then AG. If this happens again please let me know. Charlie

Kevin Dean said:
Last month sucked for me anyway. :)

WHEEEE, Im in! I would love to see some people with experience brew!

where do you guys shop? I go to MDHB in Columbia! Just wondering what the thoughts are on this.

where do you guys shop? I go to MDHB in Columbia! Just wondering what the thoughts are on this.
Nice People, decent selection.. I buy my grains and yeast there.. equipment I get at Morebeer, Northernbrewer, and Austin HB

budbo said:
Nice People, decent selection.. I buy my grains and yeast there.. equipment I get at Morebeer, Northernbrewer, and Austin HB

so you wouldnt buy a carboy there? any reason? Im thinking of getting a second one.....

I proudly shop at Flying Barrel in Frederick. :)

My only complaint is that their hours suck and when I get in there on Saturday mornings there's so many people there doing the Brew On Premises it's uncomfortable.

I pick up other stuff at Austin Home Brew.

I think what budbo means is that prices are better online if you're willing to wait for one to be shipped, but locally it's a great place to get ingredients.

Most equipment is cheaper online, you pay for the convenience of getting it locally. MDHB is a bit expensive on many things, but sometimes it's worth it to support a local place to get stuff.

jezter6 said:
I think what budbo means is that prices are better online if you're willing to wait for one to be shipped, but locally it's a great place to get ingredients.

Most equipment is cheaper online, you pay for the convenience of getting it locally. MDHB is a bit expensive on many things, but sometimes it's worth it to support a local place to get stuff.

ah, gotcha! I was looking at the MDHB prices and they were the same or cheeper (carboys) than Austin! but Im not sure what kinda stock they keep at MDHB. Might was well call :)

Last time I was down there, they had shelves of glass ones. I know they sometimes have better bottles, but I'm sure you will have no trouble with a glass carboy.

jezter6 said:
Last time I was down there, they had shelves of glass ones. I know they sometimes have better bottles, but I'm sure you will have no trouble with a glass carboy.

I called ahead and they have them, apparently im blind :) I need to drive up that way tomorrow anyways! Is there a difference between a better bottle and a regular glass carboy?

You probably didn't see them because they are on a big shelf of brown cardboard boxes to protect the glass.

Better bottles are brew safe plastic carboys. Work and act the same, but won't slice your foot off if you drop it, also weighs quite a bit less. Some swear by them, some like glass. It's a personal decision that brings much heated debate, do a search and see! :)

jezter6 said:
You probably didn't see them because they are on a big shelf of brown cardboard boxes to protect the glass.

Better bottles are brew safe plastic carboys. Work and act the same, but won't slice your foot off if you drop it, also weighs quite a bit less. Some swear by them, some like glass. It's a personal decision that brings much heated debate, do a search and see! :)

thanks, the weight has been an issue, but not enough to REALLY matter!

So whereabouts in Maryland is everyone? I'm in Cumberland, way out west, and I want to get into a brew club out here but can't find one.

Well, you're poised to get in one by being here.

There's a link at the top for membership, and HBT is AHA recognized.

No need to wait a month till the next meeting. No boring shop talk of how much is left in club funds, just post your question or hand out in the chat room. :)

claphamsa said:
thanks, the weight has been an issue, but not enough to REALLY matter!

got a new 6.5 gallon carboy :) will brew something next weekend :)

got some hops too, pretty cheap, not sure what everyone is complaining about!

So it seems like everyone is down state. Probably a little too far away for me right now. If there is anyone in Western MD, I'd be interested in starting up a local HB club.

jezter6 said:

That is exactly what I meant. It's a 3 hour round trip for me so getting it online on Free shipping or flat rate is cheaper for me than driving up there.. Takes 1/2 tank for a round trip at $45 a tank.. you do the math. It is worth the drive to buy bulk grains and while there stock up on other stuff. If I lived closer I would go there more..they are the closest to me Unless someone knows of one in the DC area.

So whereabouts in Maryland is everyone? I'm in Cumberland, way out west, and I want to get into a brew club out here but can't find one.
Down south almost to VA down 301

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back