Black IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuchan

Reaction score
Here's what I came up with last night after reading a bunch of recipes. Thoughts?

Grain:
14.0# Colorado 2-Row (90%)
0.75# Crystal 60-L (5%)
0.75# Carafa III Dehusked (5%)

Hops:
60 min. - 1.0 oz Warrior
15 min. - 1.0 oz Simcoe
15 min. - 1.0 oz Amarillo
5 min. - 1.0oz Simcoe
5 min. - 1.0oz Amarillo
7 day dry hop - 2.0 oz Cascade
7 day dry hop - 2.0 oz Simcoe

Yeast:
YLabs California Ale

Extras:
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min.

Looks awesome! The only thing id add is a flameout/whirlpool hop addition for increased hoppy awesomeness

It's definitely in the more straightforward black IPA style than the almost-a-hoppy-porter kind of black IPA I prefer.

I would move the five minute additions to knockout. You're getting flavor at fifteen and losing a little aroma at five.

Just a little tip. If you're just looking for dark color, adds the Carafa III the last 10 mins of the mash. Otherwise, your can use it all the way through and get some of the roast flavor.

Just a little tip. If you're just looking for dark color, adds the Carafa III the last 10 mins of the mash. Otherwise, your can use it all the way through and get some of the roast flavor.

I definitely want a little roast from this beer. Better to add the Carafa III at the beginning of the mash or add it towards the end and use some roasted malt?

I added 1oz of black patent to a similar recipe, hoping for a slight bite to go with the hops, no idea what to really expect. Used midnight wheat for color, because thats what I had. Kegging in the next couple days.

sbuchan said:
I definitely want a little roast from this beer. Better to add the Carafa III at the beginning of the mash or add it towards the end and use some roasted malt?

Add it at the beginning and it will give you a nice subdued roast flavor. Also, with a beer that big you will definitely need a starter for your yeast.

Back