My Portable Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manon_Theedge

Reaction score
When I first started brewing, I became very popular with my wife's family - every holiday I'd bring a couple of cases of homebrew. But then I started kegging, and now I only bring homebrew when it's cold enough outside to keep the keg cold (which is not very often in my part of Texas).

I want something to keep a keg in that keeps it cold but is also small enough to be portable, but I don't want to mess with ice, so I came up with an idea for a kegerator that is just large enough to hold a 5 gallon ball lock keg.

I started by scanning ebay and trolling consignment stores until I found a cheap mini-fridge. I found this one at Goodwill for $35 - it was ugly and a little smelly, but it got very cold when I plugged it in.

h1Yhw.jpg

There was a little mold on the door (something SWMBO pointed out when she noticed it in the back of the car - this was right after she reminded me that I already have two freezers in the garage devoted to homebrew (a kegerator and a fermentation chamber)). But you could hardly smell it after it was turned on for a while.

zn5v8.jpg

My initial plan was to build an insulated box attached to the mini fridge to make enough room for a keg. However, this wouldn't have been quite as compact as I'd like it to be, and it also wouldn't look that nice. Then I remembered that we had this...

IGYqJ.jpg

It's a stainless steel trash can. At one point it had a foot pedal to open it, but that fell off shortly after my boys discovered that a trashcan lid popping open makes a good catapult and that the harder you stomp the faster the payload takes off.

We had put off replacing it, because we didn't think the boys needed a new catapult that badly. But when my wife saw me measuring it and lowering an empty ball lock into it she commented, "So you think it's time we get a new trashcan, huh?"

With a plan formed, I only needed time to get started. An opportunity presented itself when my wife went off for a girls' weekend with her mom and sister. As she was leaving I said, "I'm probably going to destroy that mini fridge this weekend." (Her response: "That's ok.")

I began by removing the door - no more mold:

fKdiN.jpg

Then the fun began; I started prying off the sides.

4jGiO.jpg

Here's one side off:

XpIgW.jpg

And here's the top off:

DQrQf.jpg

I apparently didn't take any more pictures of the mini fridge tear-down, but after pulling off the outer shell I separated the coil from the fridge and cut a hole in the back to pull the cooling plate through.

Here is the guts of the mini fridge:

2YUfB.jpg

I very briefly plugged it in, and the plate immediately started getting cold - I hadn't broken it yet!

The stainless steel trashcan wasn't quite tall enough to hold a keg and allow room for the connectors, so I used a black plastic trashcan to extend the bottom. This picture shows the bottom - in it I've started running the parts of the fridge where they will need to go. (The board the black plastic bottom is on is attached to the frame the compressor is on; screws hold the black plastic bottom on it, and the board will be the base of the kegerator.)

w159H.jpg

Next I attached the shell of the stainless steel trashcan to the plastic bottom with bolts. Then I attached the coil to the inside of the shell with metallic tape. (After doing this I briefly plugged it in again - it still appeared to work.)

LupvF.jpg

I used the remainder of the black plastic trashcan, along with part of a five gallon bucket to make the inner lining of the kegerator. You can see it on the left side of the picture above.

I inserted the cooling plate into the inner lining and began filling the gap between the inner lining and the stainless still shell with spray foam insulation.

lfiA9.jpg

FnmRD.jpg

iZoE2.jpg

This gets me to where I'm now at - the main body of the kegerator is together with insulation nearly to the top inside. Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like so far:

Uldtm.jpg

Hjveh.jpg

After I finish up the insulation, I'm going to build a small box over the compressor that will have a hidden shelf to hold a CO2 tank. I plan to install a digital aquarium temp controller to maintain its temperature (I ran the probe threw the back with the line for the cooling plate - it pokes through the inner lining across from the cooling plate.)

UYMw7.jpg

After I'm done with the main part of the kegerator, I'll build a top (probably tiled) that has a tap in a black metal tower. Hopefully I'll get this done in the next weekend or so - my goal is to have it completely done before Labor Day.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update this thread - I finished the main part of the build, but didn't get a chance to insert the temp controller until this summer.

I finished the box over the compressor, and I built a top for it using a tower I found on ebay. I think I have pictures of these steps, but I can't find them right now - when I do, I'll edit this post to add them. In the meantime, I'm going to make another post with pictures of my installation of the temp controller.

I've used my kegerator a few times over the past year, and it works pretty well. However, because it didn't have a temp controller installed, I had to use the temp controller box I built for my fermentor if I had it plugged in for more than a few hours.

But this week I finally got around to installing the temp controller.

Here's a shot from the back. Usually there is a vent cover over the back, but I took it off to get inside.
GI9kkBR.jpg

And here is the side where I intend to install the controller:
MuHbBa5.jpg

You can see the controller sitting on the box that covers the compressor. It is one of the aquarium temp controllers you can find on Ebay for around $20.

I cut a hole in the side, then I sliced the power cord and pulled the wires through.

cqs93qk.jpg

z5LmfL4.jpg

21gxA8v.jpg

It's been a while since I built the temp control box for my fermentor, so I looked up wiring guides online. I couldn't find exactly what I needed - most of the diagrams are either to make a box you can plug things into or include wiring for things I don't need. But after studying a few and thinking about how the power needed to flow, I figured it out.

LDeLq8A.jpg

I also installed an LED, so I could tell at a glance if it was on. I wanted it to the side of the temp controller, but the wires were too short, so I had to put it underneath instead.

PYDdHLG.jpg

oj4563S.jpg

Back