All Kraeusen gone once blow off tube installed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRobles412

Reaction score
Yesterday I made my first attempt at a home brew, and went with a simple golden ale recipe; I followed each step to the letter provided by the home brew supply shop. Early last night the brew started to foam up...aggressively. So quickly that after about an hour of bubbling it shot the airlock off after getting too full of kraeusen (causing the holes in the top of the airlock to plug up). I reset the setup, but the foam was pouring out of the airlock for about an hour straight before I read up and decided to set up a blow off tube. The tube worked well, and when I woke up the brew was still bubbling. I came home tonight and all of the foam was gone from the carboy, and bubbling is down to about every 20-30 seconds. Is there a chance it could have fermented that quickly in less than a day? Is there hope for the batch, and something else I can do? Or is it time to dump it and head back for more supplies?

Sounds like everything is fine. You just had a fast fermentation so it has slowed and the Krausen that didn't come out of your airlock and tube dropped to the bottom. You can put your sanitized airlock back in and leave it for another 2-3 weeks then bottle.

That makes me feel a little at ease, thanks! Is there any concern with a fast fermentation affecting the brew at the end? Like being heavy or messing with % of alcohol once ready to bottle?

Have you read Charlie Papazian's book? If not, you need to familiarize yourself with this acronym: RDWHAHB. Your beer is fine. It sounds like you did everything correctly. Fast fermentation just means you had good attenuation with your yeast. That's neither good nor bad, just science.

Back