My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I just found/read this thread...I live in Saratoga...good to see some locals on here....and the Pump Station has some great beers!! I think about that every day I drive by it on my work route!

February 18, 2012 - HB Peat Smoked Porter - The Brew Cave

image-3141450627.jpg

February 18, 2012 - HB Racer 5 - Deflowering Newbie Flip

Sucked another poor bastard into the hobby today. It's only a matter of time before the Northern Brewer boxes start stacking up on his front porch...

image-1712519667.jpg

image-1572145367.jpg

Went to the pump station my first weekend in Albany, followed up with browns in Troy the following weekend.

Yeah, I was just up in Queensbury at the Six Flags Lodge (passed by Albany and through Saratoga), but, I wasn't able to get to Albany for the PS.

Next time you are in Queensbury make a stop in Glens Falls at Davidson Brother's Brew Pub. Good beers and Rick Davidson is a great guy.

Next time you are in Queensbury make a stop in Glens Falls at Davidson Brother's Brew Pub. Good beers and Rick Davidson is a great guy.

I saw that place but didn't get a chance. I'll have to check them out! I was in Glens Falls, went to see Journey 2 with the kids at the Aviator theater. Ate at Applebee's and Red Lobstah :).

February 28, 2012 - Flight Plus - The City Beer Hall

While I love me some bomber of great beer, sometimes it's a treat to get a taste of several at once.

With the good beers all brushing 8% each, you have to pick your battles.

Here I was able to try five beers before I picked one to hitch my wagon to. From right to left:
1. Sierra Ruthless Rye
2. Outrage IPA
3. Cross Roads Rock Stout
4. Dogfish Head Noble Rot

The big dog in the middle is Stone's Cali Belgique, because on the east coast - when you find Stone you order as much as you can stand.

BTW - the clear winner and my date for the rest of the evening was the Outrage IPA. Delicious and nutritious...

image-4105026176.jpg

mjdonnelly68 said:
I really like all the Lagunitas I've had so far. Very tasty and very drinkable. I'd go so far as to say that the Hop Stoopid is like a community-college Pliny The Elder.

I think that about the green flash iipa

mjdonnelly68 said:
I really like all the Lagunitas I've had so far. Very tasty and very drinkable. I'd go so far as to say that the Hop Stoopid is like a community-college Pliny The Elder.

Does this mean it's the Jr. for you?

I'd like to relate this thought to my cheap friends who claim Pliny is overrated because they are unwilling to pay for it.

mjdonnelly68 said:
Love the Green Flash as well. All great beers.

While we're at it I could also say the same for Heady Topper.

Haven't spotted that one yet. Where is it from?

Does this mean it's the Jr. for you?

I'd like to relate this thought to my cheap friends who claim Pliny is overrated because they are unwilling to pay for it.

Pliny is not overrated. May be the best beer I've ever had. I wish I could overpay for it - none to be had here in the Empire State.

February 29, 2012 - Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale - Operation Blizzard Bock

Since well before Thanksgiving, it has been my plan to celebrate the first big snow storm of the season by capturing enough of the white stuff to brew a batch of weizenbock - my 'Blizzard Bock' project.

Most years I wouldn't have to wait long to get a good snowfall. Some years I would have been kicking myself for thinking of the idea too late and missing the Halloween eight incher. Not this year. This year snow has been about as scarce as wing-tips at an Occupy Wall Street rally.

Here it is almost the end of February and we haven't seen as much as an inch in accumulation. Very frustrating.

Maybe it's the magic of leap day, but we're finally getting a bit of a storm. Tame by historical comparison, but maybe enough to get me the 7 gallons or so I need to make my project fly. Perhaps this is what we can expect going forward - one storm every four years, just like an extra day in February.

To make up for the lack of tonnage, I've deployed as many vessels as I could sanitize to catch the downy detritus. With a bit of luck, I'll have enough in the next twelve hours to brew this weekend.

Here's hoping!

image-2461879049.jpg

Haven't spotted that one yet. Where is it from?

Heady Topper is the elusive Double IPA from The Alchemist in Waterbury, VT. Only locally available (I have to drive 3 hours to get it). Essentially it's an east coast Pliny.

Very interesting back story on the brewer - check it out:http://www.alchemistbeer.com/

heady%20topper%20001.jpg

Dude! Glenmont to Rutland,VT is only 2 hours and we have Heady Topper at Terrill Street Beverage.

Call ahead though, he goes through it pretty quick.

:mug:

Back