hydrometers how many

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
How many hydrometers will it take before I learn not to break them? I just broke my second one! Do they make plastic ones for people like me?

Not aware of any plastic ones...they are cheap so you should replace the one you broke with 3 new ones.

In the past year my household has broken 4:

Wife: 2
5 y/o son: 1
Me: 1

But I'd rather break hydrometers than a refractometer (which is why I haven't bought one)!

My first one broke while my first batch was fermenting - I was so proud of my new hobby I was showing off my hydrometer to a friend and it slipped out of my hands and hit the tile floor. He laughed.

The second break was less exciting. It rolled off the counter. When I went to the LHBS to replace that one, I bought an extra one so now I have 2 on hand.

There is a thread on here keeping a count of broken hydrometers. I think it's up in the high 400's or low 500's by now. I've broken two. Welcome to the club!

The cap fell off the tube and I broke my first one! I got two to replace.

I broke two while during different stages of my first batch. The third has lasted about a year. My wife just bought me a refractometer. I hope I don't break it.

I haven't broken one yet but I have always been afraid of it. recently got a Refractometer and dont ever plan on using another hydrometer.

imgres

Coopers makes a plastic one that comes in their start up kits. According to the thread posted below, you can order them on their own too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/coopers-plastic-hydrometer-271883/

If you only have one hydrometer it's destined to break soon. If you have a spare it's less likely to break. I have 3 and haven't broken one in years..... The stupidest one was when I dropped the hydrometer into the tube & it just kept on going. The bottom cap wasn't on snug I guess. Currently tape holds the bottom cap on very snugly! Cheers!!!

Broken one....

My second is treated like a bottle baby...

For those outside the know, a bottle baby is a kitten or puppy, 0-4 weeks of age, that we are bottle feeding because the momma is not up to it for whatever reason....

I've been brewing for over a year and still have the one that came in my original kit. Of course, I am using a refractometer for all readings where there alcohol is not yet present. Post fermentation, I use the hydrometer to get a FG reading. I keep it in the tube it ame in, set within a stand tube (for extra safety).

If/when mine eventually does break, I'll probably just use the refractometer, with the software adjustments for once alcohol is present. Of course, I might need to get one that goes higher than my current one in that case. For when I make BIG meads and such. :D

No telling. I have been brewery 12 years. One I had lasted about 6-7 years. In the past year I have broken 2.

None broken, yet.

Be sure and get a test jar, the more expensive version that has a screw bottom. (A test jar is a larger diameter plastic tube version of the tube that came with your hydrometer. They include a wider base.) This helps immensely with stability while you are taking samples.

I might need to get that plastic one. I think I would break far fewer if they made a square hydrometer - most of my breakage has been a result of rolling.

I have two. Named "bobby" & "Hydy". I'm gentle with them, and rest them in a short plastic bed when not in use. Otherwise they like to roll around and bump into each other, among other things unmentionable. Broke one, bought two more.:drunk:

I'm considering one of the narrow range Hydrometers from AHS. It would only really be useful for session beer OG and more precise FG, but hey, that's most of what I brew!

On my first brew day, I had just finished washing and sanitizing everything, and promptly knocked it off the counter, sadly it had never been used.

Back