Houston, TX Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we can order a pallet this is what I'd be interested in.

3 bags - CM 2-Row
3 bags - CM Pilsen
1 bag - CM Munich
1 bag - CM White Wheat
1 bag - Fawcett Maris Otter
1 bag - Great Western Crystal 40
1 bag - GP Rice Hulls

So we're making alot of progress. Joshaw50 started the thread and is probably a better option to order the grain because I live in Galveston and doubt yall would want to drive an hour or longer to get your grain.
Group buys I've seen get to the required amount and then the person placing the order sends out receipts to the buyers who pay usually through paypal but could also be check or money order. Then once delivered you simply pick it up from him. I am capable of ordering it, I suppose, but again doubt that would be the preferred option.
So far here is the count:
Stevebuscemi - 3 (1 BZ-PILS, 1 BD-MOPA, 1 CM-2ROW)*
kingwood-kid - 1 (1 CM-2ROW)*
isurf - 1 (1 CM-2ROW)
soopagloo - 5 (1 TF-GPRM, 1 TF-MOPA, 1 GW-2ROW, 1 GB-PILS, 1 GB-MUNH10)*
senordodo - 2 (1 CM-2ROW, 1 CM-WHET)
schaez - 10 (3 CM-2ROW, 3 CM-SPIL, 1 CM-MUNH, 1 CM-WHET, 1 TF-MOPA, 1 GW-C40)
mredge73 - 4 (1 CM-SPIL, 1 CM-2ROW, 1 CM-WHET, 1 CR-DEXTR50)
ashford - 1 (1 CM-2ROW)
rca - 3 (1 CM-2ROW, 1 CM-SPIL, 1 CM-MUNH)
javabrewer - 2 (2 GW-2ROW)
Ravenshead - 2 (2 CM-2ROW)
Regulation - 2 (1 CM-PALE, 1 BD-MOPA)

Split bags:
Stevebuscemi/soopagloo - 1 (1 BD-CRSN)
stevebuscemi/ashford - 1 (1 BZ-DMUN)
kingwood-kid/senordodo/schaez/mredge73 - 1 (1 GP-RICE)
kingwood-kid/senordodo - 1 (1 CM-RYEM)
stevebuscemi/senordodo - 1 (1 BZ-VIEN)
rca/ashford - 1(1 VIEN?)
Current total:42 bags.
* indicates possible splitting.

Second Pallet(Possibly?):
vallensons: 8 (5 CM-2ROW, 2 TF-MOPA, 1 GW-C40)

Current total: 8 bags.

Yeah schaez and senordodo do yall want to split that bag of rice hulls? If not thats fine with me just let me know so I can get the total right.
I will continually edit the list above when more people add more, so check that post for the current total.

Yeah schaez and senordodo do yall want to split that bag of rice hulls? If not thats fine with me just let me know so I can get the total right.
I will continually edit the list above when more people add more, so check that post for the current total.

I think we can safely split these GP-RICE Hulls 3 ways and have plenty for everyone.

When do you think this buy will go down? What is the minimum order for each individual?
How long do they keep in Houston's environment?

I do not have my mill yet but I would still like to get a bag of 2-row, a bag of wheat, and a bag of pilsner in anticipation. (I can take some of those rice hulls if you are still looking to split)

1 CM-SPIL
1 CM-2ROW
1 CM-WHET

There isn't really a minimum, I suppose it would be a split bag. I'm hoping to have the buy happen in like two weeks, but really its whenever we have enough people. I'm really uninformed of the specifics of ordering but hopefully joshaw50 knows more about that.
I have heard self life for grain is like a year uncrushed in a dry, dark, and cold place. I haven't kept bags longer than a few months. What I do is put the whole bag in a huge ziplock bag thats for storing clothes or something.
I'll add you to the list, and I guess I'll just have one bag of rice hulls and y'all decide who's splitting it.

Sign me up for one bag of CM-2ROW. Also willing to split a bag of Munich with someone too.

Plus - if any of you Sugar Land or SW Houston folks want to get together for a brew session, drop me a PM! My brewing buddy moved to far North Houston. A 1.5 hour drive each way on a brew day is too much!

Alright I'll add you, would you be interested in splitting a Best bag of munich? I've never tried munich so was figuring I would try a real German type. Its $.57 compared to .$50 for canadian but my feeling is your never gunna get grain this cheap might as well get some good stuff. Let me know.

Alright I'll add you, would you be interested in splitting a Best bag of munich? I've never tried munich so was figuring I would try a real German type. Its $.57 compared to .$50 for canadian but my feeling is your never gunna get grain this cheap might as well get some good stuff. Let me know.

Yes, I can do a split on the German stuff.

OK, I'd be good with the following:

1 CM-2ROW CMC 2 Row
1 CM-SPIL CMC Pilsner
1 CM-MUNH CMC Munich

Ron (rca)

Ok light or dark? I think light might be more versatile but haven't used either so whatever you think.

I usually go with the dark as it has a little more malt character. There is only a slight difference in lovibond between the light and dark. I am fine with either one though!

I'm still in for 2 bags of two row and hops if possible.

2x GW-2ROW

Hops: 1lb each cascade, centennial, williamette, columbus

Your added java, what I hear about the hops is you have to order in 11lb increments for each variety, which can be done but guessing you'll want to split it with multiple people.

While I am at it.
Throw me in with a 50 lb sack of Dextrose: CR-DEXTR50 (anyone want to split?)
And a pound of sweet orange peel: 1768-2

I'm good with a split on the Rice Hulls and would go half on the rye and one other of anything if someone needs to do a split.

Yes sir, think the pallet will be filled soon. My only fear is the people that previously stated what they wanted come back and we have more than a pallet. But guess that's better than too little.
Senor and kingwood yall agree on the rye split? I'm going to put it on the list unless I hear otherwise.
I might be interested in splitting some vienna or something.

RCA and ashford what brand of Vienna would you want? I'll let yall split one and I might split one with senor if he wants.
No problem kingwood, just wanted to get it done. Does anyone in Houston have experience buying from CMG? 1234 is willing to help out but if someone in Houston has an account with them already it would make the purchasing and shipping process easier.

RCA and ashford what brand of Vienna would you want? I'll let yall split one and I might split one with senor if he wants.
No problem kingwood, just wanted to get it done. Does anyone in Houston have experience buying from CMG? 1234 is willing to help out but if someone in Houston has an account with them already it would make the purchasing and shipping process easier.
I'm good with a split, your choice is fine with me.

I'll go in for a sack of 2-row (any brand) if it's not too late. If I am too late just let me know.

Whoever's in charge,
PM me with details.

I'll add you to the list, not sure on the payment quite yet but hopefully will soon. Also you have posted a rather devilish number of times.

Heh, took me awhile to see what you meant.

I went to school in Galveston and I'm still pretty close so I have no issue picking it up from you.

I have no problem having it shipped down here but feel as if people in sugar land and where ever else might hate it. I'm trying to figure out the exact details on where they can ship but a central houstonian volunteer might be the ideal solution. Who knows Joshaw50 might get back on and have all the answers.

I have no problem having it shipped down here but feel as if people in sugar land and where ever else might hate it. I'm trying to figure out the exact details on where they can ship but a central houstonian volunteer might be the ideal solution. Who knows Joshaw50 might get back on and have all the answers.

I read this thread because I'm considering moving to Houston sometime in the near future.

I was in on a group buy here in Pittsburgh last spring and sort of know what needs to be done. First, does anyone have an account with CMG? They won't sell to anyone without an account and they are not giving out new accounts to homebreweres. Someone needs an existing account.

Second, the delivery needs to be made to a business with facilities to unload the pallet from the truck, i.e. a loading dock and fork truck. Alternatively, I think you can have it delivered to a residence by a truck with a lift gate, but the shipping is then considerably more.

If you're not buying directly from CMG then you can ignore everything I just said.

Good luck and I wish I was there to help you with this.

Back