Copper manifold when spigot is above bottom of cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my SS braid with a copper manifold. One foreseeable problem though: unlike some coolers, where the spigot seems to reside in trough below the bottom of the cooler, the spigot in my cooler is about 1 inch above the base of the cooler.

If I rest the manifold on the bottom then it seems whatever liquid rests below the spigot won't be collected. On the other hand, if I build a riser for the manifold, whatever liquid pools below it won't be collected.

Maybe I am overthinking this and it isn't a problem, but has anyone dealt with this?

It will be collected... that is why the holes are in the bottom for a manifold. Well one of the reasons. It creates a siphon and will suck the remaining liquid out to the level of the highest hole. I can take a picture of mine if you need.

Mine works fine, same setup you have. Like previous post says , a natural siphon will drain 99.9% of wort. A little tilt at the end will get the rest.

0623112151.jpg

Level the manifold on the bottom ans either use poly tubing with hose barbs or soft refrigeration copper tubing to bring it up to the spigot. I think that is what you are asking... See how mine is below my spigot and how it brings the liquid to the spigot?

I put a joint in the center leg of my manifold with a tee. On the tee I added a short piece of rounded copper pipe, pointing down ,just long enough to level it out and maintain a good seal at the gasket/spigot.

Back