squeezing the wort out of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyjeremybrewer

Reaction score
I've always heard that you shouldn't squeeze your grains after steeping because of the tannins that you could extract.does this hold true for hops also? I always use hop socks, and I found that when I cool the wort I can leave the hops in the wort while I chill with a wort chiller. the problem is that the hop bags retain a lot of heat and soak up a lot of wort that I don't want to waste. I tried using a potato ricer to squeeze all the wort out of the hop bags and it worked great. but I'm still concerned that I might be getting more than I want. what do you think?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you've chilled your wort down you'll get no extra bittering effect. And you could whirlpool around the stuff at the bottom, but all of that settles in with the sediment in the end anyways. So, no worries

Cheers

Tannin extraction that you are worried about comes primarily from 2 things: from the husks of the barley, and from an improper pH in your mash. Neither of these things apply to hops because they aren't, after all, some kind of mysterious tannin sponge.

Tannin extraction that you are worried about comes primarily from 2 things: from the husks of the barley, and from an improper pH in your mash. Neither of these things apply to hops because they aren't, after all, some kind of mysterious tannin sponge.

So can we squeeze our hop bags without fear of creating any problems or not? I usually rinse the hops a couple of times with hot water.

Back