A few cider questions ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZZ

Reaction score
Ive been told that once my apfelwein is done its ok to syphon it (rack it) into the one gallon jugs initially for storage, but not open them later?

Once in the one gallon containers once it gets open the cider will go bad after a few days. I dont understand this.

I mean ... if the oxygen gets to it once you open it ... and that is the problem, then how is it ok to rack it into the 1 gallon jugs in the first place. Oxygen is getting to it then as well .... ??

Ill probably be using this first batch with multiple people, I dont drink much and when I do its a social thing so Ill probably do 3 gallons in one gallon containers and 2 gallons in the smaller 22 oz bottles.

Thanks for any insight as to this. I really just need a way to store 1 gallon batches for awhile. Im sure I could get the 5 gallons drank within four months or so. How long will it last once in the one gallon containers?

When you rack, you'll be adding sulphite to get rid of the oxygen that you will inevitably dissolve.

If you open the bottles without adding sulphite, oxygen will get in, and that will cause the cider to deteriorate.

You could try adding sulphite and re-seal the bottles but unless you titrate to find out how much sulphite is still left you're likely to over or under sulphite either of which will pose a problem.

Why don't you just bottle it in something that fits the way you use it? Or keg it in a CO2 keg system (with low pressure the carbonation would be minimal).

or simply do the entire batch in 22oz'ers... the you just drink it 22oz's at a time and can split it between two people, if you want it still then just prime it slightly with far to little sugar and then the little C02 will act as a shield gas, and one 22 can be finnished easily... a gallon jug can not be easily finnished by less then say 4 people... and less then that will leave the mostly gone unless your all drinking heavy...any more then that youll finnish more then one, and youd all have to be heavy drinkers to finnish two gallon jugs with less then 6-8 people... even so your drinking pretty heavy and apfelwine will blizt you and after say a 1.5 - 2 liters each will definatly have you thinking youve had to much... more then that youll be making love to the toilet all night... with apfelwine, controled moderation is the key... 12oz bottles are best... depending on weight and tolerance... more then 4 is pushing it

Cheers

Thanks guys ... some good info there I didnt realize I had to add anything prior to bottling/storing.

Well, to be honest the way Ill use it will be one gallon jugs ... for the most part. Pretty much only a social drinker ..... I have an event coming up (a bday) on the 20th of March and thats what this will be used for ... I figured 8 people would be able to put a big dent in 5 gallons but I have no experience whatsoever with cider so those are some good suggestions.

The one gallon jugs are more practical, for me at this moment in time. Ill always be drinking it with several people, and storage space is a concern (I only have one fridge).

However, I guess I might be under a false assumption.

Once I bottle or jug it ... after leaving it sit for several weeks to carbonate .... do I need to keep it in the fridge? Or can I just box it up and set it in the basement. If I can, that definately makes 22 oz bottles do-able.

How long will it remain good in jugs or bottles stored at cool room temp??

Thanks guys ... some good info there I didnt realize I had to add anything prior to bottling/storing.

Well, to be honest the way Ill use it will be one gallon jugs ... for the most part. Pretty much only a social drinker ..... I have an event coming up (a bday) on the 20th of March and thats what this will be used for ... I figured 8 people would be able to put a big dent in 5 gallons but I have no experience whatsoever with cider so those are some good suggestions.

The one gallon jugs are more practical, for me at this moment in time. Ill always be drinking it with several people, and storage space is a concern (I only have one fridge).

However, I guess I might be under a false assumption.

Once I bottle or jug it ... after leaving it sit for several weeks to carbonate .... do I need to keep it in the fridge? Or can I just box it up and set it in the basement. If I can, that definately makes 22 oz bottles do-able.

How long will it remain good in jugs or bottles stored at cool room temp??

Once you bottle it, it will carbonate in a few weeks. You can store it at room temperature for a very long time. I don't know how long exactly- it depends on the amount of alcohol, the handling of the cider getting it into the bottles, etc. But if it's over about 8% ABV or so, you can plan on it being fine (and actually improving) for a year or two. No need to refrigerate.

Awesome!

Thats what I needed to know.

One last question ... and this is an odd one I bet ..... will strong lighting hurt the fermentation process?

My GF has some basil and other herbs growing under some bright T5 lights and I was thinking that with all the CO2 being let off by this thing it would be neat to put it underneath the herb rack and might be beneficial to the plants. The light is left on 18 hours a day. Temps would be approx. room temp ... about 70-75 deg's or so.

Would this be ok or should I leave it in a dim/dark room?

I cant believe I havent tried this stuff before ... fun times ... I think Im going to go buy another carboy and try to do some beer.

It won't hurt the fermentation process, but it will hurt the cider. Keep the cider covered and out of sunlight and out of bright UV light. Covering it with a blanket or shirt or towel works great.

or simply do the entire batch in 22oz'ers... the you just drink it 22oz's at a time and can split it between two people, if you want it still then just prime it slightly with far to little sugar and then the little C02 will act as a shield gas, and one 22 can be finnished easily... a gallon jug can not be easily finnished by less then say 4 people... and less then that will leave the mostly gone unless your all drinking heavy...any more then that youll finnish more then one, and youd all have to be heavy drinkers to finnish two gallon jugs with less then 6-8 people... even so your drinking pretty heavy and apfelwine will blizt you and after say a 1.5 - 2 liters each will definatly have you thinking youve had to much... more then that youll be making love to the toilet all night... with apfelwine, controled moderation is the key... 12oz bottles are best... depending on weight and tolerance... more then 4 is pushing it

Cheers

Well guys ... March 20th is coming up and my cider has been sitting in the 5 gallon carboy since Jan 17th.

So after everyones suggestions here what I want to do is use 5 1 gallon jugs to store it.

I have just a few final questions:

1 - will the screw top lids on these jugs cause any problems?

2 - I dont want to carbonate it. So if I understand the quoted suggestion, I can just add a little sugar to each 1 gallon jug and it will kick start fermination and create Co2 that will allow it to store well in the 1 gallon jugs?

Is this correct?

3. How much sugar, and what kind ... should I use? Cane, brown, table??

4. If I do this this weekend will it be ok to drink on the 20th? (will be about 8 days after racking)

Thanks a ton guys! This forum is GREAT :tank::rockin::mug:

Back