Reactivating Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullybro

Reaction score
I had planned to brew an ESB last Sunday but had to call off the brew for SWMBO. I pitched my WLP002 into slightly less than 2Q / 4oz DME last Thursday. I shook it regularly and there was active fermentation, but it's obviously done by now.

What can I do to reactivate this yeast? It's been sitting outside in 55-75* weather for a few days. I thought I would decant the old wort off the cake (I'm using a 64oz growler/aluminum foil), and repitch 2Q/4Oz DME wort back onto the cake. Do I need to cold crash it? Will that work?

Thanks for your suggestions! :mug:

You could cold crash it if it hasn't settled out yet, if it settled on it's own already, just decant and add your new wort...this will increase your cell count.

If you brew soon enough you could probably just pitch it as is, It will probably take right off since the yeast hasn't gotten too cold. If I'm using yeast from a previous batch and its been in the fridge for a while, i'll just decant the trub and leave the yeast at my ferment temp for a few days. For normal ales this works great, lagers i'll always make a starter

Thanks for the feedback - I cold crashed it to separate last night and plan to decant and repitch some more wort tonight. I just want to play it safe, I can't regulate fermentation temps yet, I use a swamp cooler, so I need the healthiest yeast I can manage.

Latest posts

Back