Nelson Sauvin hop pairings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
So happy that Neslon harvest is here!

I've had a few beers that were just Nelson and am looking forward to doing a single hopped beer soon but also curious what other pairings people enjoy with Nelson?

Saw some references to Nelson/Amarillo

I was thinking Nelson/Simcoe or Nelson/Willamette

What other parings work well together that still showcase the unique Nelson flavor?

Nelsons work well with pretty much any of your typical IPA hops. Just think of the flavors you want them to provide. With Nelsons you are going to big tropical fruit and grapefruit punch. What other hop complexity do you want. If you want more of that character, use amarillo or citra. Want some floral aromatics, use centennial, cascade, or ahtanum. Need some pine or herbal notes hit it up with some simcoe or chinook. If you want alternate citrus notes maybe use some summit.

Ive been using nelsons for about 3 years and they are a fun, but potent hop. Just know if you are using some of the less aromatic hops in comparison you will need to use a little more of them so the nelsons dont overpower.

thanks for the info

how much would you suggest for a pure nelson APA? 2-3oz total for bittering and flavor/aroma and another 1oz or so for dry hop?

was at FO the other day and heard about your new spot on Lincoln, when are you guys planning on opening up?

thanks for the info

how much would you suggest for a pure nelson APA? 2-3oz total for bittering and flavor/aroma and another 1oz or so for dry hop?

was at FO the other day and heard about your new spot on Lincoln, when are you guys planning on opening up?

i prefer to not bitter with them because they are just too aromatic to be wasted on bittering. However, I just use them on late additions. For an APA, 1.5-2oz at KO and maybe a 1-2oz for dryhops is plenty. If you want more of the extra pale ale then you can up it.

as for me, Im not working at the place on lincoln. I got offered a job down at Beachwood Brewing and BBQ in Long Beach. Ill be floating between there and the seal beach location.

i prefer to not bitter with them because they are just too aromatic to be wasted on bittering. However, I just use them on late additions. For an APA, 1.5-2oz at KO and maybe a 1-2oz for dryhops is plenty. If you want more of the extra pale ale then you can up it.

as for me, Im not working at the place on lincoln. I got offered a job down at Beachwood Brewing and BBQ in Long Beach. Ill be floating between there and the seal beach location.

awesome congrats :mug:

thanks for the feedback

thanks for the info

I recently brewed up a Blonde ale using only Nelson Sauvin hops and the hop flavor is seriously potent with only the 1.25 total oz I used (12.60%).

If you haven't used them before I'd go easy on them the first time.

My Blonde turned out awesome BTW, I am a big fan of the Nelson Sauvins!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/sauvinblonde-ale-259394/

any thoughts/feedback on this?

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.5 IBUs
Mash temp 150°
US-05

12 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 81.4 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 13.6 %
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 5.1%

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 60min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

I think the dry hop is a bit heavy. Both Citra and Nelson are so aromatic that they really can use a light touch in dry hopping. It is odd to have those hops in a rye IPA, but it could shine!

I do an IIPA with Nelson, Cascade, Centennial & Willamette, it is a thing of beauty.

Best beer I've made to date was Citra & NS all the way through. I'm pretty excited to taste my Green Flash West Coast IPA where I subbed out Columbus for an El Dorado/NS mix. The airlock smells amazing.

I think the dry hop is a bit heavy. Both Citra and Nelson are so aromatic that they really can use a light touch in dry hopping.

Wow. Didn't read this comment when I posted. This is total lunacy. Your dry hop plan looks amazing. If anything I'd throw in .5oz Columbus and .5oz Amarillo too! :D

Additionally, please send me a couple bottles of this! :ban:

Have you ever had Nelson by Alpine? That will show you how good this hop can be. I think it is a Rye IPA

Have you ever had Nelson by Alpine? That will show you how good this hop can be. I think it is a Rye IPA

yup, was the inspiration for throwing the rye in there

i've had a pure Nelson APA from breakwater in Oceanside as well which I really enjoyed, haven't tried anything with NS blended with others aside from the Stone 15th anniv. but that only uses NS as one of the dry hop additions

i think i'm going to remove the columbus bittering addition at 60min and add some citra at 20min to hop burst this

thanks for the feedback

may keep the dryhop as is, or split it up between DH in primary for a week then throw some more in a sack when I keg it

also going to use some freshly washed 1332 instead of the us-05

Ya I went to Alpine yesterday and bought a case of it. Post the recipe if yours comes out well =) I'm brewing up a Simcoe and Citra double IPA this weekend inspired by Kern's Citra. Nelson and Citra may be a great combo.

I made an IPA with Nelson Sauvin, Citra, and Cascades. It's an absolutely delicious grapefruit hop bomb!

finally got around to kegging this tonight - sample tasted really great, little more dank/resiny than citrus fruit

OG 1.066
FG 1.005
IBU 72.4

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 49.2 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 24.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 5 15.4 %
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 4.6 %
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 18 6.2 % (added in primary due to poor efficiency)

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 23.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 24.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 24.8 IBUs

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Dry Hop Keg
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop Keg
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop Keg

Wyeast 1332 NW Ale Slurry

i Love this hop combo!

NS is the dominant flavor but very well balanced by the citra and Simcoe

my only regret is not doing a reg dry hop before kegging as the aroma isn't quite as in your face as I would like but still quite pungent

This is a niced combo. I've used Nelson, Citra and Sorachi in a summer ale a few months back. Needless to say that thing was kicked in about a week, I couldn't keep my friend out of my basement.
I'm going to make an all N.Z IIPA this weekend using Wyeast 1945 that I have fermenting a bBitter. I will use Nelson and Rakau as the late hop additions.

Nelson Sauvin + Sorachi Ace makes an *insane* combo.

After reading this I brewed a "Samurai Sauvin IPA" (Nelson Sauvin + Sorachi Ace). You are on the money. INSANE. 2 people have tried it and said not to lose the recipe! And don't believe all the Sorachi haters who claim "lemon pledge" smell and taste. They must have recipe flaws, sanitation issues or bad luck. Cheers.

Vegasoz said:
After reading this I brewed a "Samurai Sauvin IPA" (Nelson Sauvin + Sorachi Ace). You are on the money. INSANE. 2 people have tried it and said not to lose the recipe! And don't believe all the Sorachi haters who claim "lemon pledge" smell and taste. They must have recipe flaws, sanitation issues or bad luck. Cheers.

What was the recipe? :D

Best beer I've made to date was Citra & NS all the way through. I'm pretty excited to taste my Green Flash West Coast IPA where I subbed out Columbus for an El Dorado/NS mix. The airlock smells amazing.

beerandloathingaustin, how did your El Dorado and NS beer come out? I'm going to do this combo on an APA but throw Centennial in the dry hop.

Back