Does your Brother brew too?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
My older Brother is thinking of starting a brewing hobby. He knows I've enjoyed the hobby and been successful at it so I was wondering if any of you guys have a Brother that brews and if so, is he your older brother or younger Brother?

One of my older brothers brews but not the other one. He started about 3 years before me and has been a good sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

I think we bore our family when we get together because we basically only talk about beer.

My little brother lives in Michigan, I live in Tennessee. When He came to TN and got his first taste of homebrew...he was hooked. So now he spends a fortune on equipment and brewing, just like his big brother...

No. I have two brothers. Neither of them brew. They don't even particularly like beer, but at least my younger brother is open to trying a wide variety of different beers.

My older brother(+8yrs) brews and he got me started. He has brewed for ~6 years and I had brewed with him a hand full of times. When I got a real job and a house where I could brew, I started up. He introduced me to this forum and helped me decide on all my initial equipment.
Since then (~1.5yrs) I I have really gotten into it and have even gotten him to adopt some of my techniques. In some ways the student has become the master. Because he has 6 kids, I have alot more time and less responsibilities than him so I brew alot more often. We collaborate on brews and we talking about ideas and techniques.
It is awesome, and it has really helped us re-connect. With the large age gap between us we had not been that close in the past. We were living apart for so long at college and for work. We are closer now than ever before.

If your brother is interested I suggest you have him over for a brew day and really walk him through every step. If he wants to start that is great, it could be something you could really bond over. Brewing is such a big part of my life and it is nice to share that with my brother. We are so different and don't see eye to eye on much but it has been great for us.

Just talking to my brother about this the other day. Said he always wanted to brew, but never could find the time. He's got a new house that doesn't need as much work as the old one, so maybe I can get him to start.

My older Brother is thinking of starting a brewing hobby. He knows I've enjoyed the hobby and been successful at it so I was wondering if any of you guys have a Brother that brews and if so, is he your older brother or younger Brother?

Nope dont have a brother

My little brother lives in Michigan, I live in Tennessee. When He came to TN and got his first taste of homebrew...he was hooked. So now he spends a fortune on equipment and brewing, just like his big brother...

We know which brother is cooler, at least until he moves down here. :mug:

_

My little bro passed away 3 years ago. He was starting to make wine. My dad makes wine as well. I am certain he would be brewing beer if he were still alive :-(

Growing up my dad homebrewed for a little while and then quit doing it. A few years ago my sister and law bought my brother and I homebrew kits for Christmas and we've been doing it ever since. All of our talk into homebrewing got my dad back into it so now all three of us homebrew.

I recently saw my dad and brother and we were talking about brewing. My dad mentioned my grandfather actually homebrewed too. So I'm a third generation homebrewer!

My brother doesn't brew. Actually he hates the smell of homebrewing and generally dislikes the taste of homebrew. Of course he also doesn't like IPA's, stouts, wheat ales, etc.

He always asks "Why doesn't your beer taste like 'INSERT BMC HERE'?"

Isn't it obvious? So you don't drink it.

I've tried to get my little brother into it. He likes the process, but isn't much of a beer drinker, so doesn't do it himself. However, he's always happy to help out, and he lives and dies by my witbier and Oktoberfest.

One of the closest things I have to a brother (only child here) is a good friend from school...we were always very into craft beer and wanted to start brewing, but I preceeded him by a few years...I just got to the life situation that was conducive to it before him.
He finally started being able to brew a few months back, and I can't wait to try some of his brews when I can eventually get back out to visit him...

Brother in-law started brewing in January, after having some of my brews and hearing me talk about the hobby. He is now doing all-grain, and has a three keg kegerator. He usually send me texts asking for advice and stuff. I've tried to get him to come to this site, but as far as I know he hasn't ended up here. I'll keep trying.:mug:

My youngest brother is interested....he is mostly a rum drinker, but a few bad nights of that landed him on probation for a year.

Once that's done he'll maybe start. He already has an antique 3-burner natural gas burner in his basement....gas still hooked up, too!

my older brother and I both enjoy a good beer. He recently did a ale im not sure which one. and i decided i wanted to do it also. i had been thinking about it for several years but i didnt know there was others who home brewed. So here i am still a noob at homebrew. im ready to start my first soon in the next few weeks. he does all grain. Im starting with a bitter ipa pre-hopped extract. maybe a stout or porter next. he will prob come over and help me brew it if he has time.

I've been brewing for about 8 years. About 5 years ago I got my older brother hooked on good beer and he started brewing 2 years ago. My younger brother always resisted until this past winter when he started buying Bells, Dark Horse and Founders out of the blue. I helped him brew his second beer yesterday. Now it's time to go to work on Dad.

I have two brothers (+3 years and -2). My dad's cousin has been a homebrewer for between 15 and 20 years and would occasionally bring a jockey box or a kegerator to family events (my fam is irish catholic/german...uh yeah, we're beer drinkers ;)) and we used to talk about wanting to homebrew too. We're 32 and 30 now, and finally started out one year ago. We made 6 extract batches and went straight into all-grain, which wasn't as scary as it would have been had we not helped my dad's cousin a bit before. We're both really into it, but he has to brew at my house cuz he lives in an apartment. It's awesome to hang with him and help him design beer recipes and stuff.

Our older brother isn't too interested in brewing, but he's plenty interested in drinking it. In a good way, not a mooch way.

hate to say it, sad to say it, but i only see my brother (6 yrs younger) maybe once a year and maybe for only about 24-48 hrs at a time. as far as i gather, he wouldn't be the kind of guy who'd want to homebrew beer.

Yup, my older brother got me hooked on homebrew.
He lives about 4 hours away and we brew together every now and again. But we pass recipes and techniques back and forth on a weekly sometime daily basis.
Even brewed the same beer simultaneously once. :rockin:

My younger brother got me started in this even though Ive been thinking about it for years. I have now surpassed him in quality and quantity.

My brother is younger by 2 years & also got into brewing. He made a pretty awesome expresso stout I had last night. Never thought I'd enjoy multiple beers of that style but it proved me wrong.

I do all my brewing with my dad. I am his only son so no brothers.
We started brewing late april this year and have made more then 20 batches since.

I am 34 years old and he is 62, and we have never been as good a friends :)

My little brother hasnt shown much interest but I did get my cousin to start brewing. To this day we still think of each other more as bros rather than cousins and this hobby has only solidified that. I am still vigilantly working on my little brother though :)

I have two brothers, one +12 years the other -18 months, neither brew but they do like my home brew and are interested in process. Both have other hobbies so I doubt they would ever brew, but it is possible. My grandfather brewed during prohibition and the depression and my father helped out (both got in lots of trouble). My Dad did brew a little but as it was still illegal my mother frowned on that. My younger brother's son is a brewer and has been for a quite a while (7 years maybe). I have had his brews ... they are good, and inspired me to actually get interested enough to try it. So I guess you can say I am 3rd generation brewer and my nephew is 4th generation brewer.

I'd love to have my dad and brother brew with me. But my dad is a recovered alcoholic and my brother and I aren't close (we see each other for about 3 hours a year at family gatherings). I bet it is a very good bonding experience, I just with I could have it.

My older brother and I both brew. We started doing it separately many years ago then stopped for a long time but a few years ago we both got the itch again and started brewing together. Over the past couple years we've started brewing separately at our own homes but still share recipes and ingredients and most everything else even though we brew separately and both do all grain. He's gotten more sophisticated equipment than I do and does mainly 10 gallon batches and fly sparges. Me, I do mostly 5 gallon batches and batch sparge. But we have alot of fun with it and even host gatherings for family and friends.

My older brother brews. A few years ago I had done a couple extract batches with a friend in college and told him about it so he went and got an extract dopple bock kit and I showed him my terrible skill set at the time. It got infected and was almost undrinkable, ALMOST! He and I kept at it for a few years and now hes got a Brutus rig. I still dont have a job that will support one of those haha. Around the holidays we will both brew the same recipe and see whos is better in a side by side. I live in CO and hes in CA and the water shows it!

No brothers, but my younger sister brews with me. Mostly by default, she moved in (due to a break up) right around the time we started brewing. She's stuck now but helps out and enjoys the benefits!!!
Sarah.

I have 3 older brothers.

Brother 1 drinks Miller Lite and nothing but. I gave him a few bombers a couple years back, and they sat in his fridge til I happened to be over there, opened the fridge, and guess what I found...yep, my bombers. So I drank em up. He no longer gets any homebrew.

Brother 2 thinks its "neat" that I homebrew. Its weird, cause he'll drink a Rasputin or a Zweic Porter and be good to go, but hes leery about drinking some homebrew, like its going to make him go blind.

Brother 3 is still stashing the RIS that I made him 2 years ago. Hes drank a few and says they are good. He likes good beers (lives not far from 3 Floyds and drinks there halfway often) but I dont see em brewing anytime soon.

My big brother died nearly 20 years ago, but we were going to open one of the first microbreweries in Michigan before that....that's what started me on this madness...He died on Christmas Eve, just before that I was going to buy my first brew gear as a present to myself, so we could start learning the trade. Then he died.

Most of what I learned came from that period when we were looking at it professionally, I read all I could about this stuff. Then it all got repressed and stuck in some dim resource of my memory till I started homebrewing over a decade later.

Then it all came flooding back.

Back