keg wont carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
i force carb kegs all the time - 30 psi for 36-48 hours.

so i took 2 kegs and hooked up to the same c02 same time. put to 30 psi for 48 hrs. keg#1 carbed fine and keg #2 didn't, just slight carbonation. so i lubed the seal around the opening and the release valve. set for another 24 hrs and no change in carbonation. any ideas? not sure where i could be leaking c02 from but i never have this problem.

If you have the disconnects attached to the posts then they are depressing the poppets. Point being, the poppets only seal when there is no disconnect attached.

With that said, i had the same problem that i tracked down to being an issue with a poppet. If the gas poppet is stuck or jammed it might not allow the CO2 to enter the keg properly (and the beer won't carbonate).

Here's a site i found really quick with pics for disassembling a corny: http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/index.php

I'd take the posts off, if you have the poppets that can be removed they will just fall out when you push down on them. Inspect for rips on the rubber seal, etc. and replace the entire poppet necessary (rubber seal is part of the valve, it can't be replaced separately). If all is good, soak everything in oxyclean, rinse and reassemble with food grade lubricant.

i force carb kegs all the time - 30 psi for 36-48 hours.

so i took 2 kegs and hooked up to the same c02 same time. put to 30 psi for 48 hrs. keg#1 carbed fine and keg #2 didn't, just slight carbonation. so i lubed the seal around the opening and the release valve. set for another 24 hrs and no change in carbonation. any ideas? not sure where i could be leaking c02 from but i never have this problem.

I've had this happen occasionally. I fiddle with it for a few days and can't find any leaks anywhere. I have no explanation other than some beers take longer to carb than others :confused:

i just took the C02 poppet out, change the seal, lubed it all up and set it to 30 psi. i will check back tomorow. i didn't want to pull out the dip tube. but i did spray the C02 poppet and it bubbled when disconnected.

i just took the C02 poppet out, change the seal, lubed it all up and set it to 30 psi. i will check back tomorow. i didn't want to pull out the dip tube. but i did spray the C02 poppet and it bubbled when disconnected.

Bubbles are a sure sign of a leak when sealed and disconnected nothing should bubble check poppet might just need cleaning most people don't regularly take posts apart to clean Balllock use a 7/8 boxend wrench

Bubbles are a sure sign of a leak when sealed and disconnected nothing should bubble check poppet might just need cleaning most people don't regularly take posts apart to clean Balllock use a 7/8 boxend wrench

i agree, even if it did make me feel drunk reading that with no punctuation. my eyes started swirling near the end :tank:

Back