What's Cookin' Tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
German theme night

bratwurst on the grill
German-style potato salad
Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery

Yummaay!!

I'm preparing some pico de gallo and not-chunky salsa (pico in food processor) for Cinqo de Mayo. Also roasting some garlic for same. I still haven't decided what I'm making but it'll probably have either shredded beef or shredded pork in it, I should prob season whichever meat I choose tonight as well.

Tacos. Its the only thing Im good at at the moment in the kitchen.

I have some leftover pulled pork from sunday. I think I'm going to make a pulled pork pizza tonight.

I'm preparing some pico de gallo and not-chunky salsa (pico in food processor) for Cinqo de Mayo. Also roasting some garlic for same. I still haven't decided what I'm making but it'll probably have either shredded beef or shredded pork in it, I should prob season whichever meat I choose tonight as well.

I make shredded beef tacos fairly often, I start with a bottom round roast trimmed of fat, salt pepper and garlic it. Sear it in a hot skillet and cook on low in a crockpot. after several hours I add 1/2 of a bottle of cheap lager or other low hop beer and cook for another hour or two, I add a couple cups of homemade salsa to the crockpot for the last hour of cooking and shred it back into the liquid in the bottom of the crockpot to keep warm. I usually simmer it in the crock pot for 30 minutes to get all the flavor in the shredded meat.

Fry up some homemade taco shells, fill with shredded beef and top with your choice of cheese, sour cream, lettuce, whatever you like really.

last night was flounder topped with Parmesan, salt, and a little mayo, then a salad with crushed tortilla chips and hot sauce instead of dressing.

I make shredded beef tacos fairly often, I start with a bottom round roast trimmed of fat, salt pepper and garlic it. Sear it in a hot skillet and cook on low in a crockpot. after several hours I add 1/2 of a bottle of cheap lager or other low hop beer and cook for another hour or two, I add a couple cups of homemade salsa to the crockpot for the last hour of cooking and shred it back into the liquid in the bottom of the crockpot to keep warm. I usually simmer it in the crock pot for 30 minutes to get all the flavor in the shredded meat.

Fry up some homemade taco shells, fill with shredded beef and top with your choice of cheese, sour cream, lettuce, whatever you like really.
And lots of pico!

That sounds good. I often just use stew meat but I'm leaning towards some pork shoulder 'carnitas' this time. Depends on what looks good at the butcher section.

I got my hands on some fresh pork shanks at the co-op. Braised them slowly in half of the last bottle of the Dead Spider Red Irish ale (2nd batch of my first brew!), combined with a half cup of last year's green tomato mincemeat (using like chutney). Added in salt, pepper and several large onions, cut up.

At the end, I reduced the liquid and added some more raisins. Served with potatoes and green beans. Sweet-sour and yummy! Of course, the rest of the red ale was the perfect drink to go with it.

I'm going to miss that beer.

Grilled pork chop with a ginger-mint sauce, house special spuds, and grilled corn on the cob.

(Yeah I know, crappy phone pic of a monochrome presentation. It was, however, damn tasty!)

pork_chop1.jpg

Made some spicy Thai style noodles tonight and they turned out pretty good. Not quite as good as the real stuff, but not bad for a Monday night.

Edit: Picture wont work. Bummer.

about 8 months ago, pork loin was on sale for $1.50/lb. so i bought three 9lb pork loins and cut each into thirds and put them in the deep freeze. this afternoon, i'll be putting a 3lb chunk of pork loin on the smoker. it'll be first time i've used my smoker since getting it as a christmas gift. :rockin:

We will continue to celebrate my mom's 85th B-day today with the leftovers from the 9 full racks of ribs cooked on the smoker for 2 hours, in the oven (@ 225) for 2 hours and finished on the grill that I made Saturday. They were glazed with a red wine, ancho pepper, apricot and red wine vinegar reduction sauce.

Today it is back ribs on the smoker, a couple chickens and a handful of sausages, might as well make use of the smoker surface area.

having a few sides to go with it, grilled corn on the cob, chili beans, acorn squash, and an ear of corn will be sacrificed to make cornbread.

Ooh, and a few beers :D

about 8 months ago, pork loin was on sale for $1.50/lb. so i bought three 9lb pork loins and cut each into thirds and put them in the deep freeze. this afternoon, i'll be putting a 3lb chunk of pork loin on the smoker. it'll be first time i've used my smoker since getting it as a christmas gift. :rockin:

Good luck with the maiden voyage! Avoid the temptation to open the lid again and again.

Oh god, I never should have clicked the link to the Luther Burger from that article. I put on 10 pounds just loading the page....

Back