now THAT is a damned fine beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I tossed one of the blue moon clones into the fridge earlier today. It has only been in the bottle for 13 days but I had to try one. It was fully carbonated and VERY tasty. I havent had a blue moon in a while and have none here to compare it to. However it is VERY good, good enough that I don't really care if it matches blue moon or not, I will be brewing this one again... Now I wish I had tossed a few in rather than just one.

I tossed one of the blue moon clones into the fridge earlier today. It has only been in the bottle for 13 days but I had to try one. It was fully carbonated and VERY tasty. I havent had a blue moon in a while and have none here to compare it to. However it is VERY good, good enough that I don't really care if it matches blue moon or not, I will be brewing this one again... Now I wish I had tossed a few in rather than just one.

Was this a kit? If so, where did you get it? I really like Belgian Whites so I would love to try it.

Was this a kit? If so, where did you get it? I really like Belgian Whites so I would love to try it.

no.. an AG brew I made. followed some recipes on here and PM'd back and forth with WAYNE1 on the amounts and timing.. I hate to admit this since I trash talk my friends over their wussy girly beers since I drink " real" beers that are thick and dark , BUT this may be the best tasting beer I have ever had.

5 LB 2 ROW
4 LB WHITE WHEAT MALT
1 LB FLAKED OATS
.5 LB RICE HULLS
Mashed with 1.25 qts per lb of grain at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
Double sparged to 6.5 gallons boiled down to 5 gallons.
60 minute boil
1 oz hallertau @ 60
.17 oz coriander @15
.5 oz Valencia orange peel at 5
Pitched s-05
OG 1.060
primaried 2 weeks at app 65 degrees. transferred to secondary and cold crashed 2 days then bottled. tasted after 2 weeks in bottles...... In retrospect the cold crashing may have been a waste of time.

I agree. I've made this brew a few times and it always turns out good. Let it go another week or two and it will be even better.

Like I said slanted..I am not saying it is a dead ringer for blue moon as I honestly don't know. i Am saying it tastes so good it doesn't matter!

Like I said slanted..I am not saying it is a dead ringer for blue moon as I honestly don't know. i Am saying it tastes so good it doesn't matter!

I get that, but the clones I have read about are not dead ringers, which I dont expect them to be.

Ugh... I bought a 6 pack of Michelob's version of a Belgian White today... it's disgusting. I have all the ingredients to make a Wit when I get back from my business trip at home. I can't wait to get outa DC!

I've brewed a recipe similar to the Blue Balls Blue Moon clone a few times and love it. I sometimes have to sub stuff, usually the wheat, but it's always been very tasty. Wit is one of my favorite styles! I'll even drink it in the winter. F^*& the beer snobs!

I made the true brew Octoberfest kit a couple months ago and we all thought it tasted like Blue Moon without the orangish flavor. So I made the recipe ( I don't buy the kits anymore I just buy the igrendients myself) and added the zest of 3 oranges at the end of the boil (10 mins) I will let you know how it comes out. It's an extract recipe:

• Unhopped Amber Malt Extract (1 can)
• Light Dried Malt Extract (2 lbs)
• Melanoidin Grain (8 oz)
• Hop Pellets (2 oz) Hallertau
• Ale Yeast (1 pack) used Muntons
• Zest of 3 oranges

I am looking at getting a Sanke keg and turning it into a brew pot since I already have a turkey fryer. I won't attempt any AG brewing till the Spring when I can try to brew outside. Though I suppose if I can get the gear togther this winter I could do it outside then too, no bug and the wort will cool quicker ;) The GF don't like the smell of me doing extract brewing in the house as is ;)

I have a line on some nice 10 gallon fermenters so I figure with a 15 gallon sanke keg for brewing in I could be cranking out 10 gallon batches. I will have to remember this recipe.

Back