How Long to Wait when using Finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to bottle a nice IPA using Super-KLEER finings. Plan on mixing the finings in tonight then bottling tomorrow night. The dude at the shop said this was fine, but looking at the package it says 12 - 48 hours.

If I do go ahead and mix it in, and it's not 100% finished, will it change the flavor or affect the beer in anyway if I bottle it like that?

The reason I am trying to get this done tomorrow night is my brother, who lives about 600 miles away, made this beer together (and wants to take some home with himself) and is leaving Saturday morning.

It will probably just finish clearing in the bottle. You do mean the finings not being done, and not the beer, right? :eek:

@smizak - Haha, oh yes, the beer is done. Hydrometer hasn't moved for a week and a half. If the finings keep going in the bottle, will the junk gel together in the bottom or be all lose in the bottom? Haven't really used finings before, and I can't seem to sink these darn hop particles...

Do you have dry hop particles? Are they pellets?

I find that withing twelve hours of cold crashing my dry hopped beers the pellets completely disappear. I've never used that fining, so I cant say if it will gel or not, but it will definitely just sink to the bottom of the bottle.

I just listed to a Brewing Network podcast with Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing. He claims that he used gelatin by adding it to the bottling bucket. I guess it traps all of the yeast and protein junk in a jello blob on the bottom of the bottle, making pouring much easier. Can't wait to try it, I'm sick of giving a pouring lesson every time I give my homebrew to a noob. ;)

Back