Young Apfelwein got garlic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etisdale

Reaction score
Hi, All. I bottled some Apfelwein a couple of weeks ago and just cracked open a mildly carbonated bottle around noon. ;) Just wanted to see how it was progressing as it is my first batch.

Anyway, the Apfelwein definitely has a sulfurous nose, garlic, I think--which is also present in the taste to some extent.

I added Campden to the apple juice 24 hours before I pitched rehydrated Montrachet. I also threw in Fermaid-K about 8 hours after inoculation and again about halfway through fermentation.

Is sulfur in the nose normal for a young Apfelwein, or did I screw this up somehow?

Any comments would be much appreciated as I am about to prepare another batch.

Thanks!

I can't say that garlic is normal, but the sulfur smell will subside over time. Let it sit for a few months and you'll notice an overall improvement in smell as well as alcohol mellowness.

If age doesn't cure that garlic flavor/smell, then I'd bet it would make a wonderful marinade and/or sauce for roast pork or even some nice fish!;)
there is even a garlic wine that is made for the Gilroy Garlic Festival. :D

Sulfurous is usually that rotten egg smell, I wouldn't call it garlic at all. Microbial spoilage can cause a rotten onion type smell which may seem like garlic, I hope it isn't this because it will only get worse.

Yeah I have a batch brewing and the rotten egg smell has me thinking of moving it to our basement!!!

Back