Anyone Snus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATTENTION VIRGIN SNUS USERS!!

While you may be excited about the new adventures in snusing - DONT TRY TO SAMPLE EVERY SINGLE CAN IN YOUR ORDER!

I have tried 7 different varieties in a period of a few hours. This isnt Camel snus folks! I am just now starting to (slightly) come down off of my ridiculous nicotine buzz and its not exactly pleasurable. :p

You will have plenty of time to snus and learn what you like (and dont like). I was just excited and was snusing way more than I needed.
Ugh... Over niccing sucks...

Im just excited to be able to take it to work and not have to carry a pack of smokes with me!
-Me

So I finally went ahead and placed my first order (the american starter pack). I figure it's time to quit the Skoal, again.

This is the one of the most interesting threads I've seen on HBT. It all starts with the pic of the boyz and the snus I've never even heard of before.

As I STILL chew my nicorette bit after quitting cigarette's about 5 years ago.

I'd need a free sample before I contemplated that look as an alternative.

So I finally went ahead and placed my first order (the american starter pack). I figure it's time to quit the Skoal, again.

I think that you will be rather pleased with your choice in the American Starter pack. General Wintergreen tastes very similar to wintergreen flavored dip. (I didnt really care for it)

Its a neat journey and an awesome way to kick the more harmful NDS (Nicotine Delivery Systems) that are marketed here in America.

And you get WAY more variety as far as flavor goes!
If you DO in fact make the transition successfully, your gums will definitely thank you as well. :)

Happy Snusing!
-Me

This is the one of the most interesting threads I've seen on HBT. It all starts with the pic of the boyz and the snus I've never even heard of before.

As I STILL chew my nicorette bit after quitting cigarette's about 5 years ago.

I'd need a free sample before I contemplated that look as an alternative.

If you go to the General Snus webpage, they will send you free samples. Its a great start for those who may be interested in learning more about snus. I would say that this would be the way to go if you are looking to try it before you buy it. General ® Snus | The Original Swedish Snus ™ by Swedish Match ©
-Me

ATTENTION VIRGIN SNUS USERS!!

While you may be excited about the new adventures in snusing - DONT TRY TO SAMPLE EVERY SINGLE CAN IN YOUR ORDER!-Me

Wow! You are really going gangbusters in this Snus thing eh?

I don't think I could have ever done this but, then again, I am still waiting for my order to arrive. :mad:

Wow! You are really going gangbusters in this Snus thing eh?

I don't think I could have ever done this but, then again, I am still waiting for my order to arrive. :mad:

I did!

Like I said, I was so excited to try ALL of my snuses that I kinda went overboard. Throw in the fact that I had a couple of beers, and it took me a moment to realize that the buzz I was feeling wasnt because of my homebrew. ;)

Today, I just grabbed my can of General White and brought it to work with me. I really like the flavor of this snus and it lasts a really long time.

Yeah, no more snusapalooza for me! I have PLENTY of time to sample my new snuses. I dont have to try them all in one day! (Woo that sucked!)
-Me

Do people really "pull and lift their lip, then place the portion". That just looks odd to me.

I just pop mine in my mouth and tuck it up with my tounge.

I usually make it a point to shove my fist into my mouth as well.
Or not...

Im with you there, I usually just pop it in, moisten it a little and tuck it up there with my tounge as well. Sometimes I will use my finger to move it to another part of my lip if it starts to lose a little flavor.
That tends to wake it up a lil. (I cant emphasize enough how much LONGER they last than Camel Snus! And how much more flavorful they are too!)

*Using the Force to manipulate the USPS to get your order on your doorstep quicker*
-Me

Do people really "pull and lift their lip, then place the portion". That just looks odd to me.

I've seen it done both ways (on Swedish snus videos). I usually do the lip pull because I don't like to moisten it right away. But in public with people watching, I'll just pop it in my mouth and position it into place with my tongue... I know the lip pull looks odd.

I just pop mine in my mouth and tuck it up with my tounge.

If you use the loose snus, its all but required to do the lip pull. (Especially if you are using the portioning tool)
-Me

If you use the loose snus, its all but required to do the lip pull. (Especially if you are using the portioning tool)
-Me

Yeah. They are proud of those tools too. I have bought stainless kettles for less than their premium "Icetools".

And why is it an "Icetool" anyway?

I too plan top order some of the swedish mixes, once my domestic supply is gone.

I have not heard of a Spice from Camel but have heard of an Original and cannot find it anywhere either. Perhaps it's an original spice and we are talking about the same thing.

I know I'm 10 days late to the party...

The original lineup for Camel Snus was: Original, Spice, Frost

At least in Orlando, they discontinued the original and spice flavors, and added "mild" which is like a light vanilla. Since the launch is a test in certain markets, it makes sense that they would play around with flavors that work and those that don't. FWIW, I like the mild better than all of them.

I know I'm 10 days late to the party...

The original lineup for Camel Snus was: Original, Spice, Frost

At least in Orlando, they discontinued the original and spice flavors, and added "mild" which is like a light vanilla. Since the launch is a test in certain markets, it makes sense that they would play around with flavors that work and those that don't. FWIW, I like the mild better than all of them.

Yeah. I finally came across a write up about the release flavors. Now, they call it "Mellow". I still buy 1 tin Frost in 4 tins but, I am still not a fan. Just something to switch it up. I don't think Frost really fits tho'. I was expecting a Menthol kind of flare and this is like Snusing Mellow and chewing Spearamint gum.

The Frost does have a slight chemical like burn to it but, I am guessing if they called it "Burn" or "Melt" it wouldn't have the appeal, huh?

Well another successful night at the bar last night thanks to ..let's see...Ettan. I must say I like waking up after a night of some drinking without the regret of smoking a million cigarettes. I have a feeling that hangovers will be much less common.

And, the bar had both Dead Guy and Arrogant Bastard on tap (plus a ton of MI brews).

That is the truest test of all. Having a beer and not a cig.

Congrats to you on a job well done my friend. There is hope yet.

You can actually swallow this stuff? I was going to show it to a co-worker who was trying to cut back smoking but couldn't. Don't want to hand out false information!

You can actually swallow this stuff?

I guess you can swallow the saliva produced for snus. It's still tobacco and it still has carcinogens in it, just a lot less. The fact that you put it in your upper lip reduces saliva production for it by a lot. I really only start to produce significant saliva after about 30 min., at which point I take it out anyway. I try not to swallow too much of it. I really don't want to die of cancer if I can help it and esophageal cancer is one of the least curable.

You can actually swallow this stuff? I was going to show it to a co-worker who was trying to cut back smoking but couldn't. Don't want to hand out false information!

Yes. Another benifit behind the Camel brand is also that the sugar help curb appetite so I am actually eating less and less frequently while I Snus. I have also dropped my soda habit significantly too. I used to have 1 or 2 12oz DP's a day at work. I've only had 1 in a month. (Been drinking coffe stil tho').

Not sure how the Swedish stuff will fare in that respect given that it appears to be less sweetened (most have a salty descriptor).

Swedish snus is SOOOO different from the Camel Snus. In fact, I think that I will throw out the last of my Mellow. Swedish snus is a bit salty at first, but when the other flavors come out its very nice. Camel Snus is sweet sweet sweet. (You will see this rather quickly) ;)

Ive come to find that I like the General White, and Rape' #2. Very nice flavors and fills the vitamin N craving nicely :)

Not to mention it looks as if a can will last me several days, as a pack of smokes would last me (about a day).
Ive all but quit smoking now! Its great!
-Me

Your force is a farce.

My Snus is not here! Ordered 5/15.

btw, did it come in a box or envelope (specifically the mixed variety box orders)?

No surprise tho'. USPS deliveries at work are a joke and I'll prolly see my Snus Tuesday after it's sat in an vacant mail room for 3 business days. What to do, what to do. Can't trust it to be sent home thanks to thieving, law protected, teenagers who like nothing better than to steal deliveries on their way home from school.

I guess you can swallow the saliva produced for snus. It's still tobacco and it still has carcinogens in it, just a lot less. The fact that you put it in your upper lip reduces saliva production for it by a lot. I really only start to produce significant saliva after about 30 min., at which point I take it out anyway. I try not to swallow too much of it. I really don't want to die of cancer if I can help it and esophageal cancer is one of the least curable.

A good point for sure. Snus IS NOT risk free. Most have a significantly reduced level of carcinogenic properties by nature of the process but they are not eliminated. Some even have such low levels that it does not have to be reported as having any but they are not eliminated.

And to be clear, we are talking about swallowing the "jus" (like moose or goose ;)) and NOT the portion.

(insert sarcastic joke about not expecting her to swallow if you wont)

Your force is a farce.

My Snus is not here! Ordered 5/15.

btw, did it come in a box or envelope (specifically the mixed variety box orders)?

No surprise tho'. USPS deliveries at work are a joke and I'll prolly see my Snus Tuesday after it's sat in an vacant mail room for 3 business days. What to do, what to do. Can't trust it to be sent home thanks to thieving, law protected, teenagers who like nothing better than to steal deliveries on their way home from school.

Dude that sucks! I'm sure you were looking forward to a snus-ing holiday weekend.

Just tried it. Not bad, no spitting in a cup. Definitely got nicotine in it.
This may be the way to quit the skoal.

In NJ, I paid $4.90 for skoal today, and the camel snus was $3.65 for the tin, but I had a coupon to get it free.

Just tried it. Not bad, no spitting in a cup. Definitely got nicotine in it.
This may be the way to quit the skoal.

In NJ, I paid $4.90 for skoal today, and the camel snus was $3.65 for the tin, but I had a coupon to get it free.

Oklahoma sucks! I pay a whopping $5.16+/- a tin.

But my gas is a mere 2.25gal.

Curious. Is there a spitting law in Sweeden (like Singapore)?

I understand the concept behind the top compartment but, is it really that hard to find a bin, a grassy nole, or a planter to spit the used pouch in?

In the spirit of JoeMama I am going to take a portion from each tin, plus the Camel I still have and do them all at once!

We the Brothers of Sweedish White Portion. Snus brothers untie!

:D

In the spirit of JoeMama I am going to take a portion from each tin, plus the Camel I still have and do them all at once!

We the Brothers of Sweedish White Portion. Snus brothers untie!

LOL!

Stand by for a fun ride :p

What are your initial thoughts on your REAL snus now that you have it in hand? Its WAAAAAAAY different than Camel Snus isnt it?

Dont worry, this stuff will grow on you in the days to come. I had flavors last night that were 'eh... its okay' that are 'Wow, this is good stuff' today.

And yes, I have behaved myself and havent gone on snus tilt. :rockin:
-Me

And BTW, why are your snus brothers tied up anyway?
And if they are tied, why would you want to untie them? :tank:

Theeeeeeeeey're Heeeeeeeeeeere!

Even the bag smells, Sweedish!

Ugh, word to the snubie - dont smell your snus! (It goes in your mouth) I know that this was a rule that I have a hard time with because brew REQUIRES a good whiff of the malty/hoppy goodness. Snus smells like satans anus (IMO) but is so yummy!
-Me

Oklahoma sucks! I pay a whopping $5.16+/- a tin.

But my gas is a mere 2.25gal.

We have a store here called Wawa, which is a convenience store. The are supposedly the lowest prices on tobacco products.
The skoal mailings I have been getting advertise that they have lowered the price, which is true. 2 cans a week habit of skoal used to cost me $11.65, including tax. Now its down to $9. and change.

I got the camel snus for free today, and there is usually a coupon in field and stream and outdoor life every month.. $1.00 off

The snus was $3.65 today, and I paid 2.19 for regular gas yesterday:D

I had a little trouble with the spitting thing, I've been dipping and chewing since i was 15. I'm 35. I felt the urge to spit, but I'm sure that will change as I quit the skoal.

Overall, I was impressed. Flavor lasted, nicotine satisfied the tobacco urge, no spitting, flavor was different, but acceptable.
Not a bad product.

I had a little trouble with the spitting thing, I've been dipping and chewing since i was 15. I'm 35. I felt the urge to spit, but I'm sure that will change as I quit the skoal.

Overall, I was impressed. Flavor lasted, nicotine satisfied the tobacco urge, no spitting, flavor was different, but acceptable.
Not a bad product.

I cant emphasize enough that REAL snus is where its at! In fact, if you want I will send you the rest of my General Wintergreen if you would like. It tasted very similar to dip (IMO) and it wasnt a fav of mine.

The can has been opened (I did one snus out of it) but I would be happy to share the rest with you to give you a taste of real snus. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
-Me

What are your initial thoughts on your REAL snus now that you have it in hand? Its WAAAAAAAY different than Camel Snus isnt it?

I have actually not even opened a canister yet. Only opened the box to make sure there were 8 pucks. Yep. 8. They are in the freezer now.

I opened a fresh tin of the Camel this morning and, while it is a little lacking I know not yet what is in store for me with the real stuff so, I'll finish the tin before I crack into a puck.

I have actually not even opened a canister yet. Only opened the box to make sure there were 8 pucks. Yep. 8. They are in the freezer now.

I opened a fresh tin of the Camel this morning and, while it is a little lacking I know not yet what is in store for me with the real stuff so, I'll finish the tin before I crack into a puck.

Well, at the rate that the Camel balls last you will be done with that tin in no time! :) Ive come to notice I get about an hour on average with the pucksnus. I have an Ice Fruit in right now thats still going strong!

Im excited for you!
-Me

Back