Awesome Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillc

Reaction score
Here is a grainy video I took of our (my buddies and I) Fullers Breakfast Stout Clone recipe that we brewed up. 1.071 OG. 11.5 Gallons.
Turn your speakers up and you can hear it go! This one day into the fermenter.

The beer next to it is a really light session ale that we brewed for the coming summer months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had a beer off gas that much. This is also the highest gravity brew we have ever done. Does it seem normal or extraordinary to those who regularly do higher gravity brews?

Yep, seems completely normal to me. Were you wondering about all the bubbles in your blow off container? I couldn't tell from the video if those bubbles were clear from sanitizer, or had a darker color like they were from some of the kraeusen. But yeah, foam that forms from the detergeant/kraeusen can grow quite high with all that gass being expelled. But some of my really active ferments actually has some "thudding" noises coming right from the fermenter!

The bubbles are just from the sanitizer. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced a fermentation that vigorous. This is my 15th batch of all grain and none of the previous ones were that powerful. The blow off was almost constant at one point!

Well I always go for quick/powerful ferments. If you make a starter, use an O2 tank, and stay at the recommended temps....I always get blow offs like that and the ferments are short and big. The main thing I've noticed with higher gravity beers....you have to account for a lot more kraeusen :drunk:

Cool. I am building my inline oxygenation solution currently, which will help. I shook the **** out of these in the meantime. Those fermenters (old malt extract containers) are very tough. I just used dried yeast. 3 packets, though. Dry yeast rules. Cheap and every bit as effective, if not more so, than the liquid varieties. I thought about doing starters, but it hardly appears necessary... :D

Yeah, and drop a cat turd in there before you send it too. I hear Evan really likes it that way! ;)

CTS (Cat Turd Stout), eh? Maybe you're onto something here... Let me get out my flavor wheel: "Digested grassy undertones with a harsh, rancid aftertaste". Mmmmm.

I thought about doing starters, but it hardly appears necessary... :D

3 packs!!!! wowzaa....yeah, no need for a starter there:mug: Although, I just remembered that yours is 11 gallons, so that's not overkill. Even though really you only need a starter for liquid yeasts, I tend to always make starters now (and use 1 dry yeast packet if I'm getting ingredients online). Get ready for some really crazy ferments when you've finished your O2 system ;):)

speaking of cat poo.....there actually is such a thing as cat poo coffee: maybe someone does need to make cat poo beer! :eek:

3 packs!!!! wowzaa....yeah, no need for a starter there:mug: Although, I just remembered that yours is 11 gallons, so that's not overkill. Even though really you only need a starter for liquid yeasts, I tend to always make starters now (and use 1 dry yeast packet if I'm getting ingredients online). Get ready for some really crazy ferments when you've finished your O2 system ;):)

speaking of cat poo.....there actually is such a thing as cat poo coffee: maybe someone does need to make cat poo beer! :eek:

Kopi Luwak Could make a great beer!

3 packs of dried yeast = 50% the cost of one pack of liquid, so I figure why not?

Kopi Luwak Could make a great beer!

If it didn't start at $100 a pound, I might consider just trying it. But why stop there.....we could start a whole new industry. Find some animal that would eat and poo malted barley! I've noticed my dog really likes eating whatever few grains spill when I'm grinding. Maybe I should start "dog poo beer" and charge $30 a pint :)

If it didn't start at $100 a pound, I might consider just trying it. But why stop there.....we could start a whole new industry. Find some animal that would eat and poo malted barley! I've noticed my dog really likes eating whatever few grains spill when I'm grinding. Maybe I should start "dog poo beer" and charge $30 a pint :)

If you had a civet cat you might could charge that kind of money, but an ordinary dog?? I wouldn't pay a dime over $10. :cross:

If you had a civet cat you might could charge that kind of money, but an ordinary dog?? I wouldn't pay a dime over $10. :cross:

LOL....maybe I just don't understand the allure of sh#t from an exotic animal....sh#t is the same sh#t if it's from a civet cat or my ordinary dog :cross::)

LOL....maybe I just don't understand the allure of sh#t from an exotic animal....sh#t is the same sh#t if it's from a civet cat or my ordinary dog :cross::)

No doubt! I am not a fan of of the stuff. That is why my only pet is a turtle! He has a little goldfish buddy that cleans up after him. Tank stays crystal clear with a big under gravel setup attached to a canister filter. Two tank cleanings a year! No poop duty for me!

No doubt! I am not a fan of of the stuff. That is why my only pet is a turtle! He has a little goldfish buddy that cleans up after him. Tank stays crystal clear with a big under gravel setup attached to a canister filter. Two tank cleanings a year! No poop duty for me!

Is that the same filter you use to aerate your wort? Mmmmm.....poopy.

Yep! The natural bacteria introduced adds just the right amount of ZING! to a frothy brew. ;)

Well at least your normal every day coffee doesn't come from the south end of a north bound Colombian.

Or so we hope.

Cool. I am building my inline oxygenation solution currently, which will help. I shook the **** out of these in the meantime. Those fermenters (old malt extract containers) are very tough. I just used dried yeast. 3 packets, though. Dry yeast rules. Cheap and every bit as effective, if not more so, than the liquid varieties. I thought about doing starters, but it hardly appears necessary... :D

You'll soon find that the liquid yeast presents a big "ceiling" when it comes to making different styles of beer. Almost everything belgian is out of the picture, right off the bat, as are hefeweizens. You can get away with British beers, but the specialty liquid british strains will knock the socks off of notty's clean, character-less profile (Thames Valley, for instance).

Back