Grilling Pork Loin, Any Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm doing two full pork loins for Sunday and the current plan is indirect grilling with a rub of black pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Grill until 160° then paint with a BBQ sauce and grill for another 5 - 10 minutes.

I don't have access to a smoker so that's out, but does anyone have something better I can do with these pieces of meat? Grill available is a three zone gas jobby at the In Law's house.

Just cook it slow at a low temp, that keeps it nice and tender.

Be sure to have some Homebrew with it!

Here's a couple of my Pork loin recipes...

Korean BBQ Marinade

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin rice wine, or sake (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek or Thai chile paste
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced

Just mix and marinade in a plastic baggie overnight....

And another of mine...

Peaches and Cream Pork Loin

Since this was a "throw together" the measurements are non existant, but here it goes.

Take one Pork Loin, trim off any excess fat and stab it all over with a fork.

Marinade it over night in the following;
(I do my marinating in 1 gallon ziplock bags)
Approximately 2 cups any Tropical Blend 100% Fruit Juice (We happened to have had Juicy Juice Look for one that has peach in the mix).
3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
2 Table Spoons Crushed Garlic.

Remove meat from Marinade and carefully make repeated slices into it to turn it into a flat sheet of meat (Or if you are less skilled with a knife just cut a slit down the length of the loin to make a tunnel)

Looking down at the "meat sheet" cover the pork (Leaving approximately 3/4 inch on the top and bottom free)of it with crumbled Feta Cheese (French Feta Would be the best, but regular greek style works fine.)

Peel and slice into wedges 3 fresh ripe peaches, and lay the peeche slices on top of the feta.

Carefully roll the pork loin back into a cylinder and tie somewhat tightly with kitchen string.

Season the outside of the meat with whatever seasoning salt/herb blend you prefer.

Make a tinfoil boat (or use a baking pan) slighty larger than the length/width of your loin.

Place on the top rack of a BBQ Grill on medium heat with soaked hickory chips. CLose the lid and grill/roast approximately 50 minutes carefully turning the loin over halfway through the cooking process.

Do not overcook the pork til it is dry...the 45-50 minute range (on a gas grill) leaves the meat moist and tender.

Carefully cut away the string and slice. Each slice will have a wedge of feta/roasted peach in it.

Enjoy :mug:

You can't go wrong marinating pork in Mojo Criollo. Hopefully your local grocery store has some. It does wonderfully miraculous things to pork.

• Salt and pepper the loins thoroughly then rub down with dijon mustard.
  • Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  • Get yourself some mesquite chips at the grocery store.
  • Wrap them in heavy duty tin foil and pierce with a knife.
  • Get the grill good and hot with the foil packs on the coals/ceramic briquettes.
  • Once you see smoke billowing out of the grill, place the loins on the grill over direct heat.
  • After 4-5 minutes turn the loins.
  • 5 minutes later. Open the lid, turn the heat down to low. Let excess heat escape and then close the lid.
  • Allow the loins to continue to slow cooked over the smoke. The chips will eventually burn away.
  • Test the meat by slicing a piece off (the cooks prerogative).
  • When done, remove and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

Nothing tastes better than the slight char on a good piece of pork loin, with some smoke infused flavor.

When I cook a pork loin, I heavily coat the whole loin with lemon pepper, garlic pepper, course black pepper and allow it to sit out at room temp for the better part of an hour.

I turn the grill on high and sear each side. After the sides are seared, turn the grill to low(I turn the burner directly under the loin off) and slowly cook the loin until it's at temp.

Allow the loin to rest at least 15 minutes to cool. If you cut it right off of the grill, all of the juice and flavor will end up on the cutting board.

It works well with anything from plain old butter noodles to a pasta served with fresh tomatoes, garlic-infused olive oil, and various Italian seasonings.

Hope yours turns out yummy:mug:

turn the left side on medium high till the right side hits around 160. take some al. foil and soak some apple chips in water for 2hrs then wrap the chips up in the foil and place over the heat side. when you get smoke coming out put your loin on, replace the foil pouch whenever the smoke stops. should take from 3-5hrs depending on size of loin.

Here's a wonderful sauce that is so different from normal BBQ

Dried Apricot and Fresh Mint Barbecue Glaze

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
4 cups red wine
4 cups red wine vinegar
2 cups sugar
6 dried apricots
2 tablespoons tamarind pulp, try substituting 1/2 can of
tamarind juice
1/4 cup mint, chopped
salt and fresh pepper

Heat olive oil until almost smoking in a large saucepand and cook the
onion until soft 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ancho powder and cook
for 2 minutes. Add the wine, vinegar and sugar, increase heat to high and bring
to a boil. Cook stirring until sugar has disolved. Add tamarind juice (pulp), apricots
and mint and continue cooking until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.

Let cool.

Place in food processor or blender and process until smooth.

So I bought a Brinkmann Smoker to use tomorrow. Always wanted a smoker and the deal was too good to pass up.

Currently running the cure right now and have some lump charcoal and hickory chips for tomorrow. Plan on apple juice cut with water in the water pan. Seasoning the pork loin with a dry rub of Montreal Steak Seasoning and smoking draped with thick cut Maple bacon for some fat. I'll keep some apple juice in a spray bottle for basting.

Looking forward to sitting out in the sun tomorrow, having a few brews and babysitting some meat. :D

Didn't get photos because I was at the inlaws, but the loin turned out fantastic!

Used yellow mustard to hold the rub on the loin and wrapped the loin with bacon. Good crust and the bacon crisped up nicely. Nice quarter inch of pink smoke ring. Next time I'll use twice the hickory as I ran out about 1.5 hours in. Ten pounds of loin took 5 hours to get up to 165° and I've not clue what the smoker temp was other than on the low end of "Ideal" on the lousy Brinkmann thermometer. First purchase is going to be a new smoker thermometer.

Brinkmann smoker needs some mods but it should work nicely. Has the dumbest coal pan setup I've ever seen but it should be easy to fix.

I cooked a pork loin this weekend. Found a nice artichoke and feta cheese filling and just stuffed it with that, rolled it up, oiled lightly with olive oil and coated with garlic rub. Placed in foil pouch and cook on grill for a little while. Turned out fork tender and juicy and delicious.

Lots of ideas for smoking @ smokingmeatforums.com as well if you havent't found them. Lots of helpufll people just like here.

I know this is late, but most people aren't willing to do it anyway so I'll go ahead and post. I would cook it to medium-rare/medium. Yep. For serious. Hold it at 145° F for at least 5 minutes and that's enough to kill any trichina larvae that might be present.

It freaks some people out, but it's delicious.

I know this is late, but most people aren't willing to do it anyway so I'll go ahead and post. I would cook it to medium-rare/medium. Yep. For serious. Hold it at 145° F for at least 5 minutes and that's enough to kill any trichina larvae that might be present.

It freaks some people out, but it's delicious.

From 1991 to 1996, an annual average of 12 cases per year were reported in the United States

Its EXTREMELY rare in the US. 130-145 is more than enough.

Latest posts

Back