Santiam Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been brewing for 8 years and haven't heard of them. Are they a new variety? What is the AA?

I've never used them, but a couple years ago I bought a Santiam rhizome. I expect some kind of yield from that plant this year. After that, I'll dry some and use them. I liked the description, so I;m pretty sure I'll be glad I bought the rhizome.

I've read the descriptions as well and it's certainly peaked my interest. I went on a real hop buying spree a while ago now and I still have between a half pound and full pound each of seven different hops, so I'm not in need of hops, just curious for some first hand experiences with this hop (it seems to be more available than it's other noble cousins).

I just brewed last week using a combonation of Galena, Santiam and whole leaf Cascade. The santiam smelled really good in the bag and in the boil. They have an AA of 5.8%. Bred from the Tettnanger so it has similar characteristics. I brewed a Chocolate Espresso Stout its been in primary for 6 days now smells killer. I just took a reading and it gone from an og of 1.076 to 1.018. Im still a rookie so im not sure of the exact abv but doing the calculations with the hydrometer (not sure if they work) it should be around 11-12%. Thats a lot higher than I was expecting, but I could be way off. Anyway the sample i tasted was pretty raw, only being 6 days old, but had a very nice aroma and plenty of bitterness/flavor. This one should be a dandy!

Im still a rookie so im not sure of the exact abv but doing the calculations with the hydrometer (not sure if they work) it should be around 11-12%.

I think you are closer to 7.6% (1.076 - 1.018) x 131 = 7.598

thanks for taking the time to do the calculation I wasnt sure how to figure it out. now i know. 7.6 sounds a lot better and more in the ballpark of what i was shooting for.

Back