Did I over do it with the hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
My SNPA clone recipe calls for this:

5 gallons
IBU 32
5.5% abv

1 oz Nugget @ 8.5% AA (8.5 HBU) for 60 minutes
1/2 oz Perle (flavor hop) for 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade (aroma hop) for 1 minute

1/2 oz Cascade leaf (dry hop)

-----

During the partial boil I added the following pellets:

1 oz Nugget @ 13% AA for 60 minutes
1 oz Perle @ 9% AA for 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade @ 6% AA for 1 minute

I'm still in the primary so no dry hopping yet.

The bold is the difference between what the recipe calls for and what I did. The guy at the HBS said I shouldn't use all 1 oz of the Nugget, unless I boosted the abv, so I added an extra pound of DME. BUT, my mistake was that I added a whole ounce of the Perle instead of 1/2 ounce. My head was in the clouds from having my new turkey fryer delivered and a few brews.

I know doing a partial boil, it won't hurt to boost the hops, but what do you think? Would you skip the dry hopping since this appears to be hoppy enough?

I don't think it's ruined since I have turned into a hop head, but I guess this is going to be more like some sort of IPA than a SNPA clone.

It wont be like exactly like SNPA anyway, since SNPA calls for Magnum, Perle and Cascade, with no dry hop. SN lists their ingredients on their site.

You will probably end up with a tasty variant of it, and wont be disappointed. It may be a little spicier, but still good!

Tony said:
It wont be like exactly like SNPA anyway, since SNPA calls for Magnum, Perle and Cascade, with no dry hop. SN lists their ingredients on their site.

You will probably end up with a tasty variant of it, and wont be disappointed. It may be a little spicier, but still good!

Thanks! I don't really care if it tastes exactly like SNPA. I just wanted a nice hoppy ale, similar to Bridgeport IPA. After I got to the HBS, I picked up a copy of Clone Brews and went with the SNPA recipe. It looked fairly easy and they had all the ingredients. Next time I will try Magnum hops.

I guess I will forget about dry hopping this one...

The coolest part of brewing is that so often we can try to clone a recipe, and end up making something really tasty, and all our own. Keep us up to date on this one!

For a bunch of us, there just really isn't anything wrong with a lot of hops. I frequently take hopped extract and add hops in whatever boil I'm doing and at the end, or dry hop. It's all in what a guy likes. If I make real bitter beer, nobody steals it.

To dry hop or not to dry hop? After two weeks in the secondary, taste it, then decide. Another week or two with some hops won't harm a thing. Or bottle half and dry hop the rest for two weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, everyone. I have a feeling this batch is going to be a winner even with the extra hops. Now if only I didn't have to wait a month or so before getting to drink much of it... lol

Hope it turns out great Lizard!

I just made my SNPA this past Saturday as well. I cant wait.

ORRELSE said:
Too much hops? Is that even possible? :confused: ;)

It looks damn good, Liz!!!!!!! :D

Then why didn't you mention that Perle hops cause your LWPA to be toooo bitter? *wink*

I'm still thinking my batch will be fine. At least I hope... lol

Back